• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Old houses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My flat is in a Georgian town house built about 1750.

Anyone got an older house?

I sincerely doubt it ;D That is REALLY old :o

We have! Half our house was built in 1500 the other half in 1800 - guess they had a break in between ;)

Its all old beams and inglenook fireplace - our dream house!

I used to live in a beautiful cottage built in the 1800's and my stupid husband relocated his job and I now live in the ugliest house in the village built in 1960 :( One day I'll get back to my cottage .....

I have to say though, I do love the space in my new house and it's draft and damp free :)

I love old houses. They're so full of character. Not like these modern boxes springing up all over the place

DebbieR said:
I love old houses. They're so full of character. Not like these modern boxes springing up all over the place
TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, I live in a 1970s bungalow with a lot of garden and parking etc but its not got any character, I have said we will move when kids finish school as its close to us, then move right out into a village into a house with character, my dream

I agree. When me and Steve bought our first house together - we wanted to go for something easy, clean and easy to look after, so our house is a quite newish detatched build, built in 1995! hehe I must admit, I always say to him I do love our house, even though it is a new house and has no character at all... its ours, and its our first home together, I would love one day to live in an older house with character and a history of its own....

Then again, these days its hard enough getting on the property ladder, so you sometimes have to take what you can! hehehe

;)

x

I don't like cottages because of the low ceilings and tiny windows. What I love about Georgian architecture is you have the history as well as huge windows, high ceilings, light and clean lines.

Well, ours is a cottage and has quite high ceilings and most of the windows are huge! But know what you mean - we always said we wanted somewhere with character and some of the houses we went to see Tony was stooped over or we were bending down to get through doors! Character yes, liveable...........no!

Can't stand clone homes though - ugly most of the time and popping up all over the place... >:(

Looking back, although I loved my cottage, it was tiny. Just one teeny tiny living room and even smaller kitchen. Upstairs was exactly the same with a tiny bathroom. It was so pretty though and sometimes I wake up and think I'm still there and get upset when I realise I'm not (how sad am I?!). However it was damp, and we couldn't cure it no matter how much we tried, when we were selling it it was empty and we had to leave the heating on full blast just to stop it getting worse. On moving day I cried and cried and cried :'(

However I have to say, although I look at our present house from the outside and cringe, inside it's perfect. I have rooms, lots of them! Lots of light, two loos, dishwasher (couldn't fit one in before), somewhere to put the computer, 2 double bedrooms etc etc. It was a dump when we bought it as it was all we could afford in the village we live in and we're slowly doing it up.

My OH and I look in people's windows at night (our village is full of tiny terrace cottages) and although they look cosy and sweet we're not tempted to downsize yet. Ideally we'd like a big old house, but that's out of our price range. Maybe once our son's left home (he's only 6 so a bit of a wait yet!) we'll get our cottage dream back......

Kathryn xx

I think we're quite lucky with our house as it was a large cottage converted into two cottages and our side has two large double bedrooms, a reasonable sized living room - cosy anyway! a good sized dining room and one bathroom and an extra toilet downstairs. Oh, and room under the stairs. My only gripe is the kitchen which is quite small but the previous owners put cheap storage in there and the tiles look like they're from the 50's or something, dark red with swirly design, horrible! So, when we have a spare couple of thousand we'll get that done up. Also, we have planning permission for the ugly side of the house (its completely out of look with the rest of the building) to have it extended and the downstairs toilet turned into a shower room and toilet.

In an ideal world we'd be able to buy the other side if it was up for sale and convert it back into one building.

I've heard that new buildings do have lots of rooms but on renting a newish building Tony and I decided we never wanted anything like that.

We're beam fans! ;D

I just don't think I could have a new home, I like having nooks and crannys! Unless of course the spiders hide in them......ick!

The only downside to our house is dust - we seem to be constantly wiping down sides! and we have one wall that's damp. Apart from that we have no complaints!

Oh, and I painted my dining room purple last year and there's cracks in the paint already >:(

We've got so many cracks too! Apparently it's normal for a new place, but looks dreadful!

Wallpaper doesn't stick either and is all peeling and coming off the corners!

We are renovating a water mill which was listed in the Domesday book! I suspect that part of the mill isn't there now.
Sounds very grand but it was valued as a liability for probate because its (well not as much now) falling down. I'm not living there yet because I'm not overly keen on being able to see the sky when I'm on the ground floor of a 3 storey building> ;) thats due to lack of roof & floors above.

Just imagine the amount of pigs I can have with all the out buildings it has :D

That sounds lovely - the watermill, not you sleeping on the floor seeing the sky! :D

I love the old historical buildings, they have so much story to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back