• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

One Of My Girls Seems Lethargic And Refused Her Carrots

PandaBaird

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She is around 2, she's one of four of mine and this is the first time that I've put carrots in and she hasn't ate them she just sniffed and went back to her bed which she's been resting in most of the day which is unusual, but she did come to eat with the others when I set lettuce out and then came to eat her pellets too so that was a slight relief that she hasn't stopped eating, but could this be an early warning sign of something? Or am I worrying over nothing

She is around 2, she's one of four of mine and this is the first time that I've put carrots in and she hasn't ate them she just sniffed and went back to her bed which she's been resting in most of the day which is unusual, but she did come to eat with the others when I set lettuce out and then came to eat her pellets too so that was a slight relief that she hasn't stopped eating, but could this be an early warning sign of something? Or am I worrying over nothing

Hi!

Please switch to weighing daily at the same time instead of the regular weekly weigh-in and health check. Unlimited hay makes 80% and more of the daily food intake, but it is often the first food group that is dropped when a piggy is not feeling well.
Step in with topping up as soon as a piggy is losing over 50g in a matter of a day or a few days. You can use mushed up pellets in an emergency but you will need to prep the syringe tip as shown; for the longer term recovery foods are better.
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

Please have her seen by a vet as soon as you can get a regular appointment. If she is very lethargic and completely off food, then you are dealing with a life and death emergency that needs to be seen at any time of the day. Just watching a piggy nibbling on some food can be very deceptive; the scales don't lie. Normal kitchen scales from a supermarket are perfectly OK.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Ok thanks she's eating her hay now, she's 904g currently the other head sow is 970 and the year olds are 850

Just keep a close eye on her and her weight and see a vet as soon as there is any obvious deterioration.

I would get your baby to the VET ASAP. Not eating is a big deal for a piggy. My little baby went off her food and in less than 24 hours later she passed away. Please get to the vet as soon as possible.

Back