• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

One of my guinea pigs died :( What should I do for his cagemate

Saraownsgp

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs died rapidly today night, I found him in his cage. He looked as though he was having a seizure, I picked him up and his body felt like a noodle. He stayed moving for about 15 minutes after then passed away:(. His cagemate Doodle saw him have the seizure, and after burying noodle he came out of his hidey and kept squeaking to look for him. I feel so bad, but my parents aren't letting me get another cagemate for doodle because they don't want this to happen again. What should I do?!

PoppyFloss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m so sorry for your loss and the tricky situation you have found yourself in :(

Guinea pigs are very social animals and must be kept in pairs, and no matter how much human attention they get, it can never replace having a friend of their own kind.
I can understand why your parents would not want to go into a cycle of keeping guinea pigs, but Doodle does need a cage mate. It is not fair if they cannot have one.
Please feel free to post a tribute for Noodle in the Rainbow Bridge section Rainbow Bridge Pets, Lets Remember Them All - Memorials Only Please, Permanent Thread for Rainbow Bridge Poems and read this guide: Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children and the the one @Lady Kelly posted above.

I am so sorry for the hard time you are in, my thoughts are with you.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs died rapidly today night, I found him in his cage. He looked as though he was having a seizure, I picked him up and his body felt like a noodle. He stayed moving for about 15 minutes after then passed away:(. His cagemate Doodle saw him have the seizure, and after burying noodle he came out of his hidey and kept squeaking to look for him. I feel so bad, but my parents aren't letting me get another cagemate for doodle because they don't want this to happen again. What should I do?!
Hi and welcome

I am very sorry. A sudden death can happen at any time and is always very upsetting. It is not at all uncommon have a knee-jerk reaction while you are upset. It would be good if you could all take a little time to digest what has happened and then make an informed decision that is compatible with good and respsonsible ownership.

Unless Doodle stops eating and drinking and turns his head to the wall (acute pining, which is thankfully rare), you have ideally about 1-4 weeks' time to sort out companionship. There are a number of options listed in the singles guide below, including ones that could be a working compromise between Doodle's needs and your parents' veto by using rescue dating for a companion with the companion to return to the rescue after Doodle's death.

Please read them yourself and show your parents these guides here:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Companionship
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (includes compani
onship options and how to best go about it; the best would be rescue dating.

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Guinea pigs are group animals and they should not be left on their own. Sadly Switzerland is still the only country where it is against the law and where you can be prosecuted for owning or selling single guinea pigs.
However, many countries (including the UK and US) have signed the the Five Animal Freedoms charter in which the 4th freedom, the right to express normal behaviour, includes the right to companionship for group animals where interaction with their own kind is crucial for their wellbeing.
1596108082265.png

Please be all kind to yourselves while you digest what has happened and come to terms with it but try not to make any rash decisions or have big rows. There are ways around this!

PS: You are welcome to post a tribute to Doodle's friend in our Rainbow Bridge section if you feel that it would help your own feelings.