• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Online Company - Billing me when I cancelled in their cancellation period

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
At the moment I am becoming so stressed out. I won't back down over this either as over £50 is involved.

This in the email I have sent CAB - If anybody can give me some advice, I would really appricate it...

Hello,

On the 15th December 2005, I joined an internet trading site. I joined up and decided to cancel my membership a couple of days later as they had a 4 week cancellation period. I cancelled my membership via email which is the method they request for terminating the membership.
On 15th May 2006, I received an invoice in the post for the membership which I had cancelled. To begin with I decided not to respond to the invoice as I had cancelled my membership back in December 2005. I then received a reminder invoice in June 2006. I then decided to email the online company and asked why I was receiving invoices for a service I cancelled within their 4 weeks cancellation period. These are the emails I received from them...

Dated - Monday 3rd July 2006
Dear Mrs Postles,

We haven't received a cancellation at all
If you still have the original e-mail please forward it to us

Best regards,

I wrote back saying...

Dated - 3rd July 2006
Thanks for the reply.

I do not have a copy of the email as I sent it over 7 months a go. I
have it
set up that all sent, deleted, and junk emails are deleted within 3
months. I
can assure you that I did send a cancellation email.

Thanks

Ellie Postles

They then wrote back saying...

Dated
Dear Madam,

If you can't send us that e-mail due to deletion then i'm afraid this
invoice still needs to be paid

Best regards,

I wrote back saying...

Dated 5th July 2006
I am sorry but I am not paying for a service which I don't use. I sent
you the cancellation email within the 4 week period so I should not be billed
for it. It is not unreasonable of me deleting old emails which have been sent
over 7 months a go. If you had sent me a bill straight after the 4 week period
then I would have still had the email which I sent you therefore, I would have
been able to send you the orginal email. You sent me a bill FIVE months
after I had joined and as I said, I had no welcome emails which I thought indicated that you cancelled the service as requested. In your terms and conditions, you ask for an email to be sent within those first 4 weeks to be cancelled which I have done so I should not be billed. You can see that I have never used your service so I will not be paying as I have followed your terms and conditions.

Regards,

Ellie Postles

Dated 6th July 2006
Dear Mrs Postles,

We sent everyone a welcome of zentrada and that they would receive an
invoice. The people that would respond on this would get their account
cancelled. You did not respond on this mail. If this current invoice is
not paid we will send this to the dept collecting office

Best regards,

Dated 6th July 2006

I did not receive a welcome email so I had no reason to think I was being
invoiced. You say that in your welcome email which I did not receive that you
state that you will be invoiced, why was I invoiced 6months later? I joined
and cancelled in December 2005 and received an invoice in May 2006. I did send
you the cancellation email. You are asking to see it now, but as I said, this
is your problem as you have only bothered to contact me six months after I
joined and cancelled. I do not keep sent, deleted or junk emails that long.
If you had invoiced me sooner, then I would have been able to prove to you that
I sent you the cancellation email.

If this goes any further, I will be seeking legal action. Just by browsing the
internet I can see that many people are being invoiced for membership they have
cancelled. You can see that I have never used your service and I have no
intention of ever using it. If I had used your website for trading then I would
understand you invoicing me however you should be able to see that I have not
once used it.

Ellie Postles

I did send them the cancellation email and they are billing me £56,84. What do you suggest I do? I don't have the cancellation email as I sent this email back in December 2005. I don't believe that I should have to pay for a service I have never used or ever intend on using, especially as I sent the cancellation email.

Thanks for any help.

Ellie Postles

Don't you think this is totally unreasonable? - I sent them the email in the 4 week period and they decide to bill me for it 5 months later even though I cancelled? I had no welcome emails so thought my membership had been cancelled. I have never used the site or ever intend on using it.

Ask them to prove they sent a welcome email. Bet they cant. tell them also you are seeking legal advise and will report them to the trading standards. You maybe surprised when you ring them they may have other reports. Bet they dont reply back to you. DONT PAY IT!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warwickshire County Council
trading Standards Service
Old Budbrooke Road
Warwick
Warwickshire
CV35 7DP

t: 01926 414000
f: 01926 414014/414069
e: [email protected]
w: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/tradingstandards/

Notes: Please contact the Trading Standards Service of the Council area in which you live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northamptonshire County Council
Trading Standards Service
Wootton Hall Park
Northampton
Northamptonshire
NN4 OGB

t: 01604 707900
f: 01604 707901
e: [email protected]
w: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/northants/

Ellie, the trading standards people at Warwick are great! They helped me sometime ago and always stay in touch with you during your problem.

Have sent trading standards an email. Thanks for that info Michele :)

not a problem.

They are pulling a fast one. Good luck with the trading standards

I would say stand your ground aswell, these companies have alot to answer too.

Try the seeking legal advice and trading standards.

Good luck

karen

Yes whatever you do don't pay that bill. They won't do anything to get the money back. For that amount its not worth their while. Just stand your ground. You don't owe it. These companies use scare tactics to get money out of people. Its so wrong.

And as well, if you fall for something like this and pay up, you go on a list as an easy touch that is then circulated to every scam merchant :o

I know. It worries me though because I am scared if they do something about it even though I should not be billed as I cancelled. Can't believe they sent me an invoice FIVE months after I joined. How ridiculous! When I got the invoice I was so confused cos it had been so long ago since joining that site. I also cancelled making me think I wouldn't get billed. They are a german company so my dad reckons nothing will be done but on their emails, they have offices in Nottingham.

Trading Standards emailed me back asking me to confirm my address and telephone number. Will let you know what they say. Don't know what I would do if I was told I have to pay! :(

Don't worry Ellie, I've had mix ups like this that have involved more money and as long as you stand your ground they usually give up. It will cost them a lot more to take you to court than the invoice is for. Its just not economically viable for them to pursue you.

Yesterday, the online company sent another invoice via post which they have now added a late payment fee. Going to see if I can talk to the CAB today as I am getting really worried about this now! They won't leave me alone!

It'll be fine Ellie, they're just trying to scare you. Go to the CAB anyway. They may be able to write a letter to them on your behalf telling them to bog off in a legal way :)

Sorry all... I forgot to tell you I got this email on 29th August....

Dear Madam,

The account has been cancelled as you can disregard the invoice

Best regards,

I WON - YAY :)

Glad you stuck it out, so wish these companies would sort themselves out

well done
karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back