Ooooooh I dunno what to do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Herbert is still on his own, my fault not his. I have been working lots and dont want him on his own with a new cage mate.

I am moving in Febuary so will wait until then for a rescue wiggle but I dont know what to do.

When I took him to a local sanctuary I was advised neuter when hes up to weight and get him a lady friend.

I have never really considered neutering because I had a friend who lost a boar when I was younger and it would truely break my heart if I lost Herbert, hes come sooooo far :)

But I could see if where I move too (Chichester/Portsmouth) have a pairing service available. I have two hutches and can always get another indoor cage if it fails.

But either way I hate him being on his own its sooo not far. He has been with a male before but had quite a few scabs on him etc.

Advice/ opinions I feel soo useless with him I dont really understand boys I have decided.

vicky1804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I umm and arr over the same thing, but my boy was a little order and didnt want to out him through it. I paired him with a younger boar and everything went fine.
I am considering having my new boy done when he is older so I can get a pair of females to keep him company, god forbit a tragedy no one should be left by themselves ever again.

I dont know if this has been any help, just my personal thoughts and ideas.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

you could pair him up with a younger boar, they are meant to pair slightly better with a young one.

My peruvian sow had three babies on the 6th and one is a boar so in a few weeks I will be looking for a good home for him hopefully from someone on the forum so if your interested keep me in mind:)

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would thoroughly recommend you take Herbert to a rescue for him to choose a friend (baby male or lady as you see fit depending on neutering). I did that with my old Bertie and he and Finlay got on so great. When Bertie died, we got Frankkie from Hels and although they do get on, you can see that the bond is not the same as it was imposed instead of chosen...

Status
Not open for further replies.