• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Opinions, Attitudes & Lack Of Tone Of Voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I've been going around the forum looking at threads (Mostly on tips or help) and a lot of people have given there personal opinions and straight away someone have jumped down there throat telling them that's wrong. Now.. unless I'm completely wrong, the point in this forum is for people to give there personal experiences, opinions etc. Its actually upset me how some people have been truly rude to other just on there opinions. I know, that everyone is going to have different views on things etc, but there is no need, no need at all to be rude about it, or get dam right aggressive towards them.

Which then leads me to attitudes and the lack of tone of voice. Pretty obvious, but we can't hear how each other is saying things. So.. if your in a bad mood one day.. the chances are the way you say something (typed) is going to come out pretty crappy. Equally... even if your in a good mood the way you type something may not come across the way you mean it to. I think we just all need to really look at the way were typing things, and re-read it before we actually post it. Its making a lot of the threads become really heated in places.
Also, Its not mine, or anyone else's place.. to tell people, bluntly, how or what not to give/do to their piggies. Its all advice! And at the end of the day, my opinion can be completely different from someone else's... I may have a wonderful experience of something.. and someone else might have a really bad experience! Its the person who posted the threads choice on who to believe and probably go with the majority view.

Anyway the whole point in this is to help people see that the way you say things on here, might not always sound great. I think we need to take a step back and re-read out posts before posting them up, like I said. This forum is amazing for advice, and I think a lot of people rely on it when buying things for there piggies etc, but arguing and having heated debates over 'personal opinion' isn't going to fill anyone with a load of confidence. We all need to chill out.. and be friendly... :D

Well said.
It is people's opinions and there is no need for people to pick at them un-needingly.

Reactions: A&T
I have also noticed this recently!
You have said it well!

It can be hard to understand what someone really means through reading text.
We were all beginners one day and have to start somewhere and the only way of learning is to read through everyone's experiences and thoughts!

We all need too get along and be friends!

I must agree. I've seen some people get some very blunt answers or get shot down when asking advice or giving out advice. I know a lot of the comments can be misconstrued as we are all very passionate about our pigs and their well being. I myself just have a little read though before I hit the post button to make sure my post doesn't come across in a way other than the way it was intended. Lets all work together to make this the friendliest guinea pig forum around:-)

:agr: I love this forum, but have noticed this too so have not been posting as regularly as I usually would just in case it's "wrong" if that makes sense?
I'm totally socially awkward so I immediately think that my posts are silly anyway and don't want to step on toes or come across like an idiot :lose:

I have also noticed things getting a little rude or heated recently. I'm glad I'm not the only one to pick up on it. I agree with all the comments above. Things can be taken the wrong way when you're having a bad day.

This is the friendliest guinea pig community I've ever come across and sincerely hope it stays that way. :)

:agr: I love this forum, but have noticed this too so have not been posting as regularly as I usually would just in case it's "wrong" if that makes sense?
I'm totally socially awkward so I immediately think that my posts are silly anyway and don't want to step on toes or come across like an idiot :lose:
I am really sorry you feel that way. You should not have to be wary of making a post.

I think a good way of doing things is, when you state your opinion, that you explain the reasons behind it nicely and not just say you can't do this and that full stop without reason.

See that's one of the problems, people who lack confidence already. No one is going to think your silly or an idiot though, seriously. If you have any questions post them. From now on if people get... crappy... I'm gunna say something because its a joke that people feel as if they cant ask questions on a forum designed to help people.
I hope you'll feel more confident posting threads now?

I am really sorry you feel that way. You should not have to be wary of making a post.
See that's one of the problems, people who lack confidence already. No one is going to think your silly or an idiot though, seriously. If you have any questions post them. From now on if people get... crappy... I'm gunna say something because its a joke that people feel as if they cant ask questions on a forum designed to help people.
I hope you'll feel more confident posting threads now?
I do, thank you! You might regret saying that, I've just got some baby rats so am a bit nutty about them and how the piggies might be jealous of all the attention they're getting while we are teaching them their names (piggies are still spoiled rotten and get lots of cuddles)! :D

Reactions: A&T
I do, thank you! You might regret saying that, I've just got some baby rats so am a bit nutty about them and how the piggies might be jealous of all the attention they're getting while we are teaching them their names (piggies are still spoiled rotten and get lots of cuddles)! :D
I love seeing uour ratties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back