• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Orange urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallie2985

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since losing her cage mate, Wills, Rose appears to have had one problem after the other. First she had an URI, which seems to have cleared completely, thankfully. Now she has orange urine.

It's definitely orange rather than blood stained, and she's not crying when she urinates, so I'm fairly sure it's not a UTI. I have read that it can be a sign of dehydration, and this seems most likely as her poops are smaller and dryer than usual.

The thing is, I'm not sure how to deal with this. Why isn't she drinking? She's not over-fussed on food either, so cucumber is not the answer. I am weighing her weekly, and her weight seems pretty stable.

This afternoon I am syringe feeding her cranberry juiced water. How much does she need. Should I start worrying?

Is the wee coming out orange or turning orange later?

Our pigs wee turns in too a really bright orange which panicked us no end at first but its caused by an iron compound that reacts with the oxygen in the air and turns a rusty colour as it dries. Its perfectly normal and comes from the dry food.

Ours the wee comes out clear it changes as it dries.

If she is dehydrtaed and not drinking or eating Id be tempted to syringe her plain water.

Give her a bit more fresh veg than usual, that should do the trick.

Urine of a dehydrated piggy is very thick in consistency.

However, it can happen, especially after UTI and a stressful time when the immune system is very low, that a certain type of bacteria which is normally present can flourish to cause the extreme staining of orange or rust.

It has happened to one of my piggies.

We found one of our older girls (Nouget) had this problem. Normal coloured wee then changing to orange. She had antibiotics and her urine was dipped for blood when nothing abnormal was found we were told not to worry and it sometimes happens, If I remember correctly the vet told my daughter who was about 9 at the time that Nouget had 'magic' wee

I'm inclined to say it is turning orange later, as when she has weed on the puppy pad during cuddle time it has not been abnormal. She finished a 2 week course of Baytril a week ago, so it seems unlikely that she would have a UTI (although not impossible).

The big problem I'm having is that she's not interested in food, particularly. Don't get me wrong, she IS eating, and does not appear to have lost weight, but she is much more finicky in her habits and is not snatching the food from the bowl as she did before. I think she is pining a bit, but I'm at a loss as to what to do - she is terrified of baby Bumble, who I was hoping would be a companion for her, and Sooty and Sweep are terrified of her!

I'm looking at new housing solutions and perhaps boar dating for her in the future, but right now I worry! She seems happy enough and is enjoying lots of love and affection from me, but she's not her normal bossy self, and I don't like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back