• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Engel's Herd

Ok. So I'll aim for 4-5 in the hutch. I was going to get bendy bridges and the elmato or there's a similar one called the Hop Inn?

What are your thoughts on sea grass hides and wicker tunnels?

yes the Hop Inn is also fine. I had seen that one as well.

I personally dont use sea grass/wicker tunnels but they are fine to be used.

yes the Hop Inn is also fine. I had seen that one as well.

I personally dont use sea grass/wicker tunnels but they are fine to be used.
Ah that's ok then. Didn't know if they were safe for them. I've purposely avoided buying them because I wasn't sure. Mwahaha now I know they're safe...piggies going to have presents :D

Babies are 8 weeks old now and a lot heavier than what Jupiter was when he was 10 weeks (he was 300 and something grams. Babies are 502g and 511g)! Really there's nothing to update you on other than weight and size. They're both doing so well!

Jupiter and Eileithyia weren't very pleased last week as I had to buy pet shop hay as I was out of haybox hay and waiting for it to be delivered (which thankfully was a couple of days)...now that it's here they're both happy and popcorning and zooming like mad. Who would've though a change in hay could upset a pig?

Anyways I did a little photoshoot with the pigs in natural light, so they are that shiny they're not wet nor did I use extra lighting or flash. I am actually amazed how shiny they are, or in fact how shiny pigs can be in general.

Without further ado... PIGGY PICTURES!

IMG_20210129_153936986.jpgIMG_20210129_153703943.jpgIMG_20210129_153515855.jpgIMG_20210129_153248681.jpgIMG_20210129_152952379.jpgIMG_20210129_152934136_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20210129_152643646.jpgIMG_20210129_152612347.jpg
(I can't believe how similar the coat pattern is)

Just a quick question for you all which I may have asked before but can't remember. I know pigs can fall out at any time in their lives. But could how they are now (boars) reflect how they'll be in a year's time? I know hormone's play a massive role too but generally speaking? Apollo and Jupiter just seem to be amazing together (been together properly almost 2 months but have lived next door since birth). Within the next few weeks I won't be surprised if Apollo's hormones start kicking in considering he's about 2 months old now and Jupi started rumbling a lot around 3 months old.

It's strange really...I haven't heard much rumbling at all. (Other than the usual rumble, popcorn, zoom, rumble, repeat). Maybe the calm before the storm

I don’t know that there’s any way to tell how they’ll be in a year. Things can change and sometimes hierarchies can shift. But enjoy them as they are now. If you get to that bridge then you can cross it then. It’s unfortunate that boars get such a bad rap.

I don’t know that there’s any way to tell how they’ll be in a year. Things can change and sometimes hierarchies can shift. But enjoy them as they are now. If you get to that bridge then you can cross it then. It’s unfortunate that boars get such a bad rap.
I know and realise that now. They're lovely. As I have both sows and boars I get the best of both I suppose and tbh I don't have a preference.

I have got things planned out if things go wrong. But was just curious. They seem to mesh so well!

i really wouldnt dwell on it. Yes, absolutely have a plan so you aren’t caught off guard and can act fast if there is a sudden problem, but there is every chance they will get on brilliantly forever more.

i really wouldnt dwell on it. Yes, absolutely have a plan so you aren’t caught off guard and can act fast if there is a sudden problem, but there is every chance they will get on brilliantly forever more.
I hope so. They've got a lovely bond 🥰

It is nice to have the best of both worlds. I’ve got a pair of each as well.

Oh do you? I thought you just had boys like piggies&buns does! Hehe. What's their names? Have you got any pics?
The boys were my first pair in 2017. They chose me rather than the other way round. And I didn’t intend to get sows but there they were. They joined us in 2018 and blended in really well!

I won’t clutter your thread with photos but you can go look on theirs. The Kigo piggies

Hey @Piggies&buns am I able to use fleece liners during cooler months as long as it Wickes well? Using puppy pads in the sleeping quarters and stuffing it full of hay. As well as under hides (and stuffing them full of hay). With snuggle safes and covers too

Hey @Piggies&buns am I able to use fleece liners during cooler months as long as it Wickes well? Using puppy pads in the sleeping quarters and stuffing it full of hay. As well as under hides (and stuffing them full of hay). With snuggle safes and covers too

I really wouldn’t use fleece as bedding at all in winter. The time it takes for the surface to dry (even after its wicked) after it’s got wet will be so much longer when it is cooler outside, to the point it may not dry at all.
The only way I use fleece in winter is over their bendy wood bridges as it helps hold the snugglesafe warmth inside the hide.

The only time I use fleece is when it is warm enough to not need the snugglesafes. As soon as its cooling down and they need the snugglesafes, the fleece bedding stops.

I really wouldn’t use fleece as bedding at all in winter. The time it takes for the surface to dry (even after its wicked) after it’s got wet will be so much longer when it is cooler outside, to the point it may not dry at all.
The only way I use fleece in winter is over their bendy wood bridges as it helps hold the snugglesafe warmth inside the hide.

The only time I use fleece is when it is warm enough to not need the snugglesafes. As soon as its cooling down and they need the snugglesafes, the fleece bedding stops.
Ok. How do you stop loose substrate falling out the hutch then? I was going to use correx but Jupiter likes chewing it :(

Ok. How do you stop loose substrate falling out the hutch then? I was going to use correx but Jupiter likes chewing it :(

Ive never had a problem with any bedding falling out of any of my hutches.
When the bottom doors are open and they’ve got access to the playpen, sometimes a little hay and bedding gets pulled out but I’ve never seen it as a problem.

Ive never had a problem with any bedding falling out of any of my hutches.
When the bottom doors are open and they’ve got access to the playpen, sometimes a little hay and bedding gets pulled out but I’ve never seen it as a problem.
Ok. Do you line the bottom of the hutch with anything to stop pee destroying the wood? I recall you saying the bluebell has a weak wooden floor

Ok. Do you line the bottom of the hutch with anything to stop pee destroying the wood? I recall you saying the bluebell has a weak wooden floor

When the guineas were in the bluebell I had a sheet of plastic on the base, then newspaper/puppy pads, then the bedding.

Back