• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
Martin Luther King Jr

I got a bit depressed earlier about just how little some people care about other people and animals. I was just watching people walk past me all absorbed in their own little worlds. Ignorance may be bliss for them but what about the lives that might be be changed if they thought about where their food and clothes came from or how many malnourished children and neglected animals die every day. All the problems in the world seem so big and overwhelming.

I thought about this quote and decided that although I can't save every animal from cruelty and I can't save every child from poverty I can keep shouting about it. I have a good 50/60 years before I might be too old for shouting about it.

I want to encourage everyone to pick at least one thing they are passionate about whether it is animal rights, fairtrade food, child poverty or helping your community and keep shouting. Sign petitions, tell your friends, donate your time. YOU can make a difference. So many rescues and others on here already do, keep up the good work.

Martin Luther King Jr had a fairly short time to change the world and he didn't become silent so somebody shot him to shut him up but his dream has been achieved. America is no longer legally segregated, his children NOW "live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character". Yes racism still happens but it happens everywhere and if he was still alive he would still be shouting about it.

SHOUT but shout peacefully. Don't judge or discriminate even if you know that the other person is in the wrong.

I've started a bit of a one woman crusade against a certain store that sells animals but keeps them in awful conditions starting with the RSPCA then on to trading standards and then to the local council and finally word of mouth to my friends about what a hole it is.
Also every year my family and I send xmas shoe boxes to the operation christmas child charity and we donate whenever we can to local charities.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
I'm hugely passionate about shouting out against animal testing esp for beauty products, it angers me so much. So I don't buy make up, only that which has not been tested on animals and I actively encourage others to do so :). I shop for clothing food and arty craft materiel from local shops in my area which source their materiels and food from local supplies I'm really up for putting my pennies back into the community.

I also donate whenever I can, and not always through just cash. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.