• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Outdoor cat advice 😺

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
So little miss Effie (10m) is finally spayed after her originally bang on 6m spay was cancelled due to covid. She was chipped during lockdown because I was freaking out as she kept escaping 😂 anyway today when she escaped we decided to roll with it and she's had the best time, kept disappearing then reappearing lol! Anyhow she might be my 3rd cat but I've never had an outdoor cat before so how does this usually work? Is there specific times you all let them out or just go with the flow? Babybelle is indoor despite being an ex stray in part due to allergies and in part because she has no interest in the outside world and onslow (rip) was the same so I'm clueless! It's definitely heart stopping when they dissappear temporarily 😂 xx
IMG_20200720_112725~2.jpg

Mine usually ‘ask‘ to go out and then ‘ask‘ to come back in, or sit looking through the window then run to the door when you appear. They generally stay out if it’s fine but you’ll probably find on cold/wet days they won’t want to go out as much. So it’s really on a need basis - if they need to go out, let them. They know where to go to be fed! My cat is now quite old (14), is deaf and has joint problems, but he will go out in the garden for about 10-15 minutes two or three times per day, but hardly ever goes out in winter, just lays glued to the radiator!

Mine usually ‘ask‘ to go out and then ‘ask‘ to come back in, or sit looking through the window then run to the door when you appear. They generally stay out if it’s fine but you’ll probably find on cold/wet days they won’t want to go out as much. So it’s really on a need basis - if they need to go out, let them. They know where to go to be fed! My cat is now quite old (14), is deaf and has joint problems, but he will go out in the garden for about 10-15 minutes two or three times per day, but hardly ever goes out in winter, just lays glued to the radiator!
Thankyou, she regularly throws herself at doors in a bid to get out but needed to wait till she was spayed 🙈😂🤷‍♀️ I think with her being young she'll want too be out a lot bless her, if she doesn't come home before we lock upp what should we do? Is it OK if she ends up out overnight and at what point do we worry she's gone missing? We've had the back door open all day for her today lol 😂 babybellle is 15 so maybe that's why she doesn't want to go out lol but I'm quite happy having her indoors, makes me nervous Effie wondering around out there 😂 xx

She hasn't got lock up in someone shed ! Because i am only saying this because my brother wife cat did

If they aren’t about when it’s time for bed there’s not much you can do really. I used to worry when mine stayed out all night but they were there first thing in the morning looking for breakfast! I would really start worrying if they were gone for more than a couple of days as they are inquisitive and will get into the most ridiculous places sometimes!
If mine turned up for something to eat, they weren’t allowed out again after 9pm so that I could get a worry free sleep! You could have a cat flap fitted if you’re really worried but it allows other cats into your home as well, plus they can bring all sorts in with them - nice little gifts for you of dead/live mice, rabbits etc! Not something you want to wake up to on a morning!

If they aren’t about when it’s time for bed there’s not much you can do really. I used to worry when mine stayed out all night but they were there first thing in the morning looking for breakfast! I would really start worrying if they were gone for more than a couple of days as they are inquisitive and will get into the most ridiculous places sometimes!
If mine turned up for something to eat, they weren’t allowed out again after 9pm so that I could get a worry free sleep! You could have a cat flap fitted if you’re really worried but it allows other cats into your home as well, plus they can bring all sorts in with them - nice little gifts for you of dead/live mice, rabbits etc! Not something you want to wake up to on a morning!
Thankyou so much for the advice! 😁

ive a sure cat flap,which reads the microchip and only allows katie to come and go.you can lock it at night,or for when vet trips are necessary.katie is 10 years old,she does not like cold weather,but shes out in the garden most days if it is dry and warm.i let her come and go as she wants.luckily shes not a hunting cat,so no gifts have been delivered.

Thankyou I may look into a cat flap in the future! Effies hunted a fair few flies so I have no doubt if she found a mouse she'd eat it lol 😂 xx

lidl were selling them in the middle isle,for £44.00,but not sure if they will have sold out.mine cost nearer to £100.00,but ive had it seven years.it runs on aa batteries.try zooplus.or vet uk,they seem to have the cheapest prices on line !

lidl were selling them in the middle isle,for £44.00,but not sure if they will have sold out.mine cost nearer to £100.00,but ive had it seven years.it runs on aa batteries.try zooplus.or vet uk,they seem to have the cheapest prices on line !
Thankyou so much, will have to wait till Sam's back at work anyway but I do love zooplus 😍 xx

I think cats must be capable of learning a schedule, as when I was a teenager I used to look after a friend's cats when they were away, and when i went round to feed them they were either waiting outside or came very quickly when called. If you wanted to keep her in at night you could 'train' her to be in by feeding her then, and not let her out after, maybe.

Back