outdoors or indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Am really not sure what to do about housing arrangements for our piggies now the warmer weather is here. Over the colder months, all the piggies have been living in our kitchen in big plastic cages; 2 in one and 2 in another. However, now the weather is warmer, I wondered about putting the 3Bs outside in the hutch again. Bertie and Beryl can't really live outside as both are v timid and Bertie has an ongiong respiratory problem that seems to be aggravated by rain.

Had a trial run the other day and put the 3Bs back outside in their outdoor hutch but they seemed so nervous - so I took pity on them and brought them back inside last night (honestly, one pitiful look from Boris has me wrapped around their little paws ::)

My bugbear with keeping them indoors over the warmer months is that they smell in the kitchen, no matter how often I clean them out. We only have a small kitchen so it's bound to get a bit smelly I suppose. But my concern when keeping them outside is that foxes will get them (I hardly slept a wink the night I put them outside for a trial).

We are getting a new trio of piggies soon and I am worried that three cages in the kitchen will be ultra stinky! I suppose that the ultimate answer would be to buy a nice secure shed and kit it out for all the piggies. It would be warm and safe for them in there and stop the smells in the house. However, I imagine the initial outlay for this would be quite expensive.

Does anyone have any advice - either on housing solutions or keeping piggy smells to a minimum?!

Alex x :)

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My three live in the living room all the time, as I live in a top flat with no garden.

The secret to stop smells is to clean out regularly. Alternate days I completely clean and disinfect the whole hutch. The day in between I clear out all the old food, hay and crap, but keep the paper, then put fresh bedding down. I have only been badly troubled by smells about twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.