• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ovarian cyst symptoms- but in a boar?

Thank you so much!
Just one more question, since I introduced the two mid November, It's been 11 weeks that they have been together. If Frodo (imma have to change that name :( ) was pregnant wouldn't she have given birth by now? Or is it possible that she didn't get pregnant the first month or something? I'm pretty sure the pups are most likely not going to be born healthy because she's tiny and even when I was giving belly rubs (around a week ago) I hadn't noticed any movements at all.
I'm a bit worried that it's not a pregnancy and rather a cyst as I had originally thought?

The best thing to do is to take her to the vet as the hair loss isn’t normal and needs to be investigated. It’s possible that she didn’t get pregnant during the first month of her being with you x

I feel like I should let you all know that she gave birth to 3 (?) stillborn. I'm not sure about the number because one looks... weird?? I'll post pictures and a better update as soon as I finish my assignment.
Frodo herself is doing well and is now moving around a lot more!
All in all, I think it went as well as it could.

Just checked, actually it's 4.
I don't think they're stillborns, rather mummified fetuses?
Should I remove them from the cage, leave them with Frodo?

I’m so sorry for your loss. Glad she’s doing okay. I would book her in to see a vet. I know you may have struggled in the past with them. I don’t know about leaving them in. Is she ‘ignoring’ them?

@VickiA @Wiebke

I’m so sorry for your loss. Glad she’s doing okay. I would book her in to see a vet. I know you may have struggled in the past with them. I don’t know about leaving them in. Is she ‘ignoring’ them?

I actually called the day I figured she's a she, the usual one (the only piggy vet available in this city who told me twice that Frodo is a boy) didn't answer the phone and left me on read when I texted; I called a few animal hospitals as well but they told me they have no experience with piggy pregnancies and that I should wait it out instead of taking her there, so that's that.
She's ignoring them yes, I just gave her pellets and she's happily eating those. Not really bothering with the fetuses?
I removed two of them from the cage (the two that were somehow in her food area?), there's still two in her hidey.
Weirdly enough, the fetuses seem to be in different pregnancy stages?

How many hours has it been and how long has she been ignoring them? I think if it’s been a few then I would probably remove them.

I’d also weigh her daily at the same time just to be sure she’s eating enough etc.

How many hours has it been and how long has she been ignoring them? I think if it’s been a few then I would probably remove them.

I’d also weigh her daily at the same time just to be sure she’s eating enough etc.
I know it's been two hours but I'm not sure when exactly she gave birth.
I think I'll remove them, I remember my old hamsters used to eat their babies, is that the cage with guinea pigs as well?

...Apparently there was 5?
She's cuddling with them in her hidey, Should I let her be?
It's midnight here so I'll be going to sleep in another hour, Should I leave them be till morning?

I'm so sorry for what has happened to you, and especially for the dead babies :no: Not a nice thing to find!
Not sure what exactly happened with them, but dead and stillborn babies are all too common (which is why this forum is against intentional breeding). I hope "Frodo" is okay now . Maybe the hairloss will get better now, best to keep an eye on it though.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere else, but did you find out the gender of your other piggy for certain?

xx
Editted to add - sorry, just seen you did check your other piggy . Sorry it is a male!

I'm so sorry for what has happened to you, and especially for the dead babies :no: Not a nice thing to find!
Not sure what exactly happened with them, but dead and stillborn babies are all too common (which is why this forum is against intentional breeding). I hope "Frodo" is okay now . Maybe the hairloss will get better now, best to keep an eye on it though.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere else, but did you find out the gender of your other piggy for certain?

xx

Thank you.
I checked him, he's definitely a boar; Also evident by the fact that the other got pregnant.

Thank you for updating us, I am sorry the babies did not survive but glad to hear Frodo is doing well. Also on the plus side it is good you were able to separate her from your other piggy in time so she won't have got pregnant again after giving birth.

I would be inclined to remove the babies if it's been a few hours. Guinea pigs don't eat their babies like some rodents do.

As @Claire W says she will still need to see a vet about the fur loss as it may have nothing to do with the pregnancy.

Wishing you and Frodo well

It's midnight here so I'll be going to sleep in another hour, Should I leave them be till morning?
I'd be inclined to remove them. Possibly she is instinctively reacting and trying to hide them in order to not attract predators. I don't think she is 'grieving' as she has been moving around and eating.

@VickiA , @Wiebke

I'm so sorry for your loss and this awful experience. I know very little about pig pregnancy and have no personal knowledge to offer but I've typically heard of 1 to 3 babies born at one time, and she was very young, so perhaps she had conceived too many to carry through to live birth. Poor little girlie ❤

Nevermind, Mom made me remove them.
Hopefully this doesn't badly affect Frodo.
I took a couple of pics in case I could find a vet to take her to, Here's all of them (with a battery for size comparison):
IMG-7029.jpg
Two even have some hair and nails, I would've liked to meet them in better circumstances. I honestly wonder how they even fitted in Frodo, She's so small.

They might have died some time ago and been in there a while then? I'm sorry I don't know any more 😔

I’m so sorry for you and Frodo’s losses, how sad, the poor little girl. Hope you can get her hair loss sorted with a vet now and she’s feeling better soon x

That’s so sad :( Looking at the dead babies, it looks like she could have miscarried as the babies aren’t fully formed but that’s a guess. Please do have Frodo vet checked x

I'm here to update all the lovely people on this forum!
Frodo is doing well! I decided to keep the name since I've been calling her that from the start.
I took her to a new vet (specifically an exotic one) for the hair loss, He said to keep an eye for a week or two and come back if nothing changed, but that it was most likely due to her stomach stretching for the pregnancy and will grow back; which it did! As for the miscarriage, he thinks it was due to the young age and the recommendations of the last vet for what I was then told was a bloat. The flakiness is a new round of ringworm which I am once again using Nizoral for as the vet didn't recommend an oral treatment. As she did run into Percy's cage once I am treating her extremely delicately this time around on the 0.001% chance that she might be pregnant again, but hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.
Percy and Frodo remain separated which I feel really bad about because they keep sleeping beside each other on different sides of the screen in-between the cage and they pretty much act like they're Romeo and Juliet or something. There is one specific vet with experience in sterilizing guinea pigs but he's in another city, I'm stalking his clinics page so if he visits my city, I'll be booking an appointment; besides that there is no way I can let the poor things mingle again.
All in all, beside my wallet crying everything seems to be going well!
I'd like to thank you all for your help!

Back