• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ovarian cysts

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there. My guinea-pig Bambi has been loosing hair round her stomach/back. The vet has treated her for mites as she thinks she could be scratching the hair away, but in all honestly I think it is ovarian cysts which the vet said it may also be. She has said we can do a scan and then spay Bambi, but the risk is the anaesthetic. Bambi is probably coming up to about 5 years old, maybe older (she was a rescue). In all honesty I don’t think I’d be happy to take the risk of surgery given her age so I’m wondering whether to get the scan or whether to manage the condition. At the moment Bambi is perfectly fine in herself - eating, etc. However I also don’t want to leave something that could be treated if ultimately she will be in pain.
Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation?

Hi there. My guinea-pig Bambi has been loosing hair round her stomach/back. The vet has treated her for mites as she thinks she could be scratching the hair away, but in all honestly I think it is ovarian cysts which the vet said it may also be. She has said we can do a scan and then spay Bambi, but the risk is the anaesthetic. Bambi is probably coming up to about 5 years old, maybe older (she was a rescue). In all honesty I don’t think I’d be happy to take the risk of surgery given her age so I’m wondering whether to get the scan or whether to manage the condition. At the moment Bambi is perfectly fine in herself - eating, etc. However I also don’t want to leave something that could be treated if ultimately she will be in pain.
Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation?

Hi!

It rather sounds like potential ovarian cysts to me, too; and something that should be investigated before it is excluded

I have so far had three 5 year olds successfully spayed, two for very large and fast growing non-hormonal fluid filled ovarian cysts and one sow for cysts that would have turned cancerous if left. A couple of younger sows have been spayed because their hormonal cysts were causing aggression problems in their group.
When it comes to the operation, it very much depends on how confident and experienced your vet is. A spaying op is a major operation; crucial is often the length of time a piggy is under anaesthetics.

There are however alternative options to a spaying operation. You can find them listed in detail with their various pros and cons in this guide link here: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Back