Over Feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darky

Now - I don't think that I'm over feeding my piggies but.. I want to be sure? ^^; To my knowledge it's a fine measure, but I want to find out your opinions so I can change their diet if people think it's wrong. C:

They have a constant supply of dry food in a normal, guinea pig ceramic dish - I refill it when it gets to the bottom, so I'm not allowing them to be picky. This lasts quite a while - I think I top it up once or twice a week, or something like that. (Horrible memory.)

For breakfast they get some kind of lettuce (I regularly change it - I buy different sorts of bags of salad mix of lettuce, but not iceburg) and possibly some cucumber and/or celery.

For dinner they get something random - they're less picky than they were and now eat cucumber, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and other things. C: So they get whatever I've pulled out of the fridge and chopped up.

Their veg go in a dish identical to the dry food dish - so it's just one of those full up.

Does this sound like a good diet for two boars?

They've not had any treats, because I haven't found any healthy guinea pig treats, though I recently ordered some online and a treat dispensor ball so they won't get bored.

And, of course, the good ol' bottle of fresh water every morning - and plenty of hay top ups on days when they're not being cleaned out.

Does this sound alright? ^^

Reaction score
Mine get basil, corridander, parsley, carrot, sweet potato, celery, salad, apple, cucumber, melon, broccoli, califlower, cabbage and sometimes banana each day just about. I think thye gte a bit too much. But I think it sounds ok :)

D

Darky

:0

I really want to try Fry & Laurie on some fruit again now that they're more settled and less picky. :D

Reaction score
Ok, what I have heard:

Fresh fruit: 20 percent of the weight of the piggy per day (grams of fresh veg)

Dry food - depends on the food, but on average i think 30 to 50 grams per pig per day.

Hay - as much as they want.

D

Darky

That's the thing - I have never in my life weighed food for pets. o~o I measure by portion - not grams.

It's the same for rats, budgies and whatnot - you can tell people the ideal amount in grams, but people rarely weigh the food first.

Therefore.. It means nothing to me. XD

C

chinakit

I wouldn't worry about over feeding .... guineas tend to leave what they can't eat, and I have yet to see a seriously overweight piggy. Unlike dogs they are just not gluttons!

S

Starflick

I think that sounds just about right, mine get their bowls topped up when they have finished their dry food (or pee-ed in the it! ::) ) Veg everyday, cucumber, celery and carrots and whatever else i have in.

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I change the dry food every day :(

I heard it went stale from my vet nurse

C

chinakit

If you need to throw food away each day you are giving them too much. Reduce the amount of dry food until there are just a few crumbs left each day. And feeding a pelleted food will stop selective feeding too.

Reaction score
If you weigh it out to amount they are ment to have you will be surprised! I weigh all my pets food now and my guinea pig food lasts me 2 extra weeks!

Mary

C

chinakit

Mary said:
If you weigh it out to amount they are ment to have you will be surprised! I weigh all my pets food now and my guinea pig food lasts me 2 extra weeks!

Mary

It's funny you say that Mary ... with my dogs' food, when I gave them the amount recommended on the pack, they put weight on and became quite fat :-\ now they have only half the recommended amount, and are just right weight wise. Strange really.

Status
Not open for further replies.