Overfeeding Lettuce and Pellets

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you tried her on another type of hay? It may be she would prefer something else. When you put the hay in (say a handful), how long before she’s eaten it all?

On another note, young piggies learn what to eat from older piggies around them. You need to get her a friend soon. Can you not go back to the breeder you got her from?
The breeder doesn't have a sow available for me to adopt at the moment. She can't finish a handful of Alfalfa Hay. She would only eat bits and pieces of it.

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is try another hay then. Timothy as suggested. Are there any rescues near you?
I'm from the Philippines and there are no rescues here for Guinea Pigs. Also, Timothy hay here is very expensive as it is not readily available. The only choices I have is Stargrass Hay and Alfalfa. Both which she seems cannot finish eating

Hops_in_Heaven

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had Tickles since she was born and she had 24/7 access to orchard grass hay as she's kept with my other pigs. The only Timothy hay available to me was western Timothy hay, which was so very stiff. They didn't seem to like it. I also bought a small bag of alfalfa. I would occasionally pull her and her mama out for some pignics for extra socialization and feed it to them until the bag was empty. Basically, I used alfalfa hay as a supplement rather than a replacement for ordinary hay.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm from the Philippines and there are no rescues here for Guinea Pigs. Also, Timothy hay here is very expensive as it is not readily available. The only choices I have is Stargrass Hay and Alfalfa. Both which she seems cannot finish eating
Hay isnt really something guinea pigs should finish eating, there shouldnt be an end, your meant to just keep piling it in everytime it looks not fresh, how are you feeding it? Are you putting a pile in, then waiting days for her to finish it?

Siikibam

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think you’ll have to bear the cost and buy the Timothy hay. Hay should make up 80% of their diet. It helps grind the teeth down, and if she isn’t eating even a handful that’s worrying if I’m honest.

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had Tickles since she was born and she had 24/7 access to orchard grass hay as she's kept with my other pigs. The only Timothy hay available to me was western Timothy hay, which was so very stiff. They didn't seem to like it. I also bought a small bag of alfalfa. I would occasionally pull her and her mama out for some pignics for extra socialization and feed it to them until the bag was empty. Basically, I used alfalfa hay as a supplement rather than a replacement for ordinary hay.
The only type of hay I've access to at the moment is Stargrass Hay and Alfalfa. She likes Alfalfa but the former, not so much

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hay isnt really something guinea pigs should finish eating, there shouldnt be an end, your meant to just keep piling it in everytime it looks not fresh, how are you feeding it? Are you putting a pile in, then waiting days for her to finish it?
I've a huge shallow plate like bowl where she jumps in, I also put one in the cage hay rack which she seems to totally ignore. I replace it within 24 hours whether she ate it or not.

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think you’ll have to bear the cost and buy the Timothy hay. Hay should make up 80% of their diet. It helps grind the teeth down, and if she isn’t eating even a handful that’s worrying if I’m honest.
Most Guinea pigs here in Philippines only eat Banana leaves or normal grass but they look fine. Don't wanna go on those diets though so I'm trying this Stargrass Hay but she doesn't seem to like it much.