• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oxytocin experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone had had a good outcome with taking their piggie in for oxytocin to start labour? I'm popping my pig off to work t/m for some to start her off (now being nearly around 78-80ish days pregnant) Her pelvis is safely dilated and ready. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of it? Any stories or comments appreiciated.

x.

I've never used oxytocin to start a labour - have done to restart them though, sometimes successful, once not and C section needed.

How can you be so certain of the pregnancy dates?

Suzy x

Has she given you reason to think that she is in need of assistance? Is this her first litter? How long since the boar was in and removed?

Suzy x

He was removed 76 days ago? It's not unheard of for a sow to delay implantation, though quite rare. If it's more than 73 days since he was removed I would be getting concerned too. It's very difficult to advise whether to go ahead or not, obviously, though I would be thinking along the same lines as you are and have my own vet make the decision for me.

If there is not a reliable date for the boar's removal I would wait - the waiting is torture I know, but out of 50 or so births I've only had one not go into labour - she was 14 weeks old, full term with a very large litter that drained the life out of her, she was starved through out her infancy and most of the pregnancy.

HTH

Suzy x

Thanks for your advice. I will see how she goes over the next few days. Shes had an xray and has 4 pups inside and her pelvis is round 1.5cm dilated. So I'm guessing not long now.

x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back