• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oyster and Potential Tumour :o(

Status
Not open for further replies.
This scenario has happened to me twice. The first was Nouget, she had a few lumps removed and fortunatly they always turned out to be fatty lumps. The last one though was found near her liver and we decided to operate thinking it was the same as before, when the vet opened her up they found a cancerous mass around her liver. They let her go under anesetic. Sherbet had long term bladder trouble in the end for whatever reason they said spaying might help - there really wasn''t any other option apart from pts so we tried, they found a mass around the bladder but they were uncertain as to what it was although under anesthetic they squeezed the mass she still jumped in pain. They brought her round and we tried more antibiotics and stronger pain relief- it just made her spaced out. I came to the heartbreaking decision to have her pts. We tried everything we could think off to help her but in the end we just couldnt let her quality of life fade and her suffer. Thinking of you and Oyster at this difficult time. Hugs to you both x

I just wanted to say that there is no wrong decision here.

You could choose not to put her through the surgery, as she's quite an elderly piggie, give her the best quality of life you can and let her go when she show signs of distress. Some tumours cause little pain and can be lived with for quite some time.

If you decide you want them to try, provided that the vet was under instruction to let her go under anaesthetic if he did not feel that surgery would give her a good quality of life, then there is a chance that she will have a longer life with surgery. But make sure that they give you some pain relief for her post op.

I have been in this situation a number of times and have learnt that which ever way you call it, you can be right or wrong. But the important thing is that you have her best intentions at heart and that you are brave enough to let her go if she is in pain with no realistic chance of improvement.

I have learnt through my dealings with vets that they will not recommend euthanasia lightly, but sometimes find it difficult to raise the question. So it is always worth asking the question "what do you feel would be the kindest thing?"

I hope this is helpful - I am sometimes quite matter of fact I know, probably because of my habit of taking on elderly rodents and having to make the decision a few times. I do know how hard it is - after all these years I still howled with tears when I lost Amber.

Paula

Midge & Panda - aw, that must have been hard finding both with similar things :(
I have to wonder why they are caused and if it's the environment or the water or the chemicals on the food... I am terrible at washing the veg as I don't wash it when I eat it so it's not habit and worry that this might have caused her problems. No point wondering though!

Paulag - yes, it is a good way of looking at it and I love Oyster to bits and want to make sure I do what is best for her. When we adopted her she was a stroppy girl who had lived on her own out in an outdoor hutch and was always poorly. She always had problems with her belly but the vets could never find anything until now - and that was 3 years ago. I feel happy that I have managed to give her a happy life and to see how she is now compared to what she was like. Needless to say, I will be spending alot of time cuddling her this week! :)

Thanks all for your words and thoughts
xxxxx

It's not anything that you did that cause this - guinea pigs are just very prone to tumours. As are people for that matter - they are just more easily treated in humans.

Paula

I have lived through this scenario quite recently (and regretted my decision afterwards).

The thread is here: it is very similar:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58350

With hindsight I would have "managed the clinical condition" rather than "try to cure it by agreeing to the op" . Becase ANY abdominal op for a piggie is VERY risky (not from point of view of vet/anaesthetic.... but from the subsequent risk of adhesions and what that can then entail as witenesed above)

It's not just about operating to "find out"......even the op to find out could cause significant probs going forwards as i found to Beechies cost AFTER THE EVENT

I can;t tell you what to do....but, from the info you have provided on your situation..... if I had to make the call now I would say no op, manage on palliative care programme with the vet ... and let Oyster spend a happy "rest of her life". If hadn;t had the "hindsight" experience on what happened with Beechie...I would have made the reverse decison to operate

I'm so very sorry you are facing this decision...there is no "right" or "wrong". ...I wept when I read your post.

You are doing everything you can, seeking out info....no piggie could ask for more as it shows how much you care and how important Oyster is to you. So whatwever decision you make....you have made it with the very best interests of your lovely piggie Oyster at heart.and that is all she has asked for.

BIG Hugs...really feel for you. If you want a chat then Pm me for my phone number

x

Hi Pebble,

thanks so much for your post and link to your thread. I hadn't received it in any notifications so it's lucky I stopped by to check the thread! So apologies if it's a late reply :red

It sounds like your little one went through alot and I think hindsight is what we would all wish for :(

We had oiky out all over the weekend on her own with us to see what she was like. She did lots of exploring and seemed generally fine - even though most of the time she looks poorly and is sleepy. I think, as she has always suffered with some kind of problem, she is probably used to it and just gets on with it. Very brave little piggy.
We basically decided that we wouldn't have the op until it got to the point where she was in obvious pain and suffering and/or stopped wanting to eat. Only then will we consider it with a view that she might not wake up or recover from it. I think I would only want to try it at that point rather than just saying goodbye and putting her to sleep as I will always be wondering 'what if it was nothing and they could remove it' etc etc.

xx

I think that is a good decision to make for Oyster.....

In the mean time you might want to think about options for future palliative care....and discuss how your vet is thinking:

Metacam for pain relief (and anti-inflammatory)...what would be next stage pain reief? (this is usually injectable opiates)

Any partiular antibiotics/probioitics to counteract opportunistic infections inc respiratory/urinary ....as your Oyster may become immunocompomised

Oyster sweetie...there are a few (boar) piggies here rootling for you.....Just know that you are much loved.....

Tani Hun - if you ever want a chat...PM me for a phone no:

Hugs

x

I think that is a good decision to make for Oyster.....

In the mean time you might want to think about options for future palliative care....and discuss how your vet is thinking:

Metacam for pain relief (and anti-inflammatory)...what would be next stage pain reief? (this is usually injectable opiates)

Any partiular antibiotics/probioitics to counteract opportunistic infections inc respiratory/urinary ....as your Oyster may become immunocompomised

Oyster sweetie...there are a few (boar) piggies here rootling for you.....Just know that you are much loved.....

Tani Hun - if you ever want a chat...PM me for a phone no:

Hugs

x

Hi Pebble!

Big thanks for the advice.
Really though, my vets are pants and with my last piggy, I had to suggest the correct medication to them! lol.
I will tell them I have decided to leave her without the op though and ask them for some rimadyl for when her pain starts to get worse and I have septrin as an anti-biotic which is better than the usual baytril/metacam combo as it's easier on her belly etc.
I'm not sure I want to go down the line of vetergesic opiots etc just because Pootle was on those and most of the time she was spaced out. It was ok for a short time i.e. recovery and helped the pain when she died, but if Oyster gets to that point of needing them then I will try the op.
She seems ok at the moment and is quite full of life so I'm not too distressed. I think now I know what is wrong and I believe our decision is the correct one, I will be able to cope more. Watch this space though as some point down the line I will be on here booing away and needing some virtual hugs!
:0
xx

aww hon, virtual hugs will be here for you when you need them x

Big healing vibes being sent for Oyster x>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back