PAH Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I went into PAH about two weeks ago to get some food for my GP. When I was in there, I noticed two piggies in the adoption centre. I enquired about them and was told their story etc and that they had 2 more piggies in the back. I asked to see the ones in the back and was shown them, and instantly fell in love.

My pig Roxy has been alone for about 6 months, so I thought about possibly getting them to bond with her. I discussed this with PAH and they said sure, it was fine, but they were currently being treated for ringworm so they'd put my name down on the back of their adoption sheet which would ensure that they would be held as mine, and that if I popped in next week, I could collect them.

I popped in the next week, and told a girl that I had some guinea pigs reserved. She said she'd go and look in the back. When she came out with them, I instantly noticed that they weren't the ones - one was a completely different colour! - and then said that those weren't the ones that I reserved. 'Oh, but these are the ones that are currently being treated for ringworm, there aren't any others in the back'. I then said that maybe I'd gotten it wrong ... then noticed they were boys. NOPE, definitely said female, definitely wrong colour. They finally found the ones that I had reserved (weird seeing as apparently no others in the back?!) and said that they were going through some more treatment, but they should be fine by the following week (i.e. this week) so I should come back and get them then.

I went in today and said the same thing I'd said previous weeks, guinea pigs reserved etc. They had a look out the back and said that there were absolutely no guinea pigs. I sent them back for another check, as the same was said last time. Whilst I was waiting, I went over to the guinea pig pen ... AND NOTICED ONE WAS IN THERE! I turned around to my boyfriend and just said "THAT'S THE ONE!" and kept looking for the mark on her head where the ringworm had been; I finally spotted it.

The girl returned and said that there must have been some confusion, they don't usually reserve pets, who had put my name down? I felt a bit uneasy saying 'well, it was you...' as she was the one who had done it. I said that I had just seen one of the ones that I'd picked in the adoption centre, and the other one - this is the great part... - was seen in the BOYS section. Had the same ringworm mark and everything.

I made the staff members check the sex of the one that I had seen in the the boys section, and the one in the girls. They were both sexed correctly there, but obviously weren't when they were together. I said that I didn't want a boy, they were going to be paired with my girl at home. Then I mentioned it wasn't their policy to rehome a single boar/sow, although she said it was fine and gave me her.

I went to the till expecting to pay an adoption fee to charity (really don't agree with paying to PAH for animals...) and was charged for a baby guinea pig. I know that she's still technically a baby, but meh, I paid it anyway.

Now I'm just wondering if she's pregnant. How long would it take to show up if she was? I've only ever had girlies, wouldn't know... argghh:{grrrr

Fudge and Rainbow :)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, stupid pets at home. grrrr No wonder you are annoyed with them, ou certainly shouldn't have been charged for her. :( I hope she isn't pregnant.

Reaction score
y do pets at home do many silly things, y did she write your name on them if she wernt allowed to reserve :S and do they not double check if there a boy and girl? i dont think your know if shes pregnant till she starts showing but hope shes ok anyway pics please :D

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh for goodness sake - bloody pet shops wind me big time. I had an annoying encounter in our local pets @ home this morning too - see my other thread......

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to kick up more of a fuss, go back or phone up and ask to speak to the manager. No way should you have had to paid full price for her.

The sad thing is, if you pay for her then you're helping them get away with this sort of thing. If they get older pigs in for the adoption centre and they give birth, the babies are lumped in with the sales stock.

Reaction score
That store how many more stories of incompetence ! Please dont shop there unless you have too. I am sure some stores are ok but very rarely i hear positive comments. There adoption section is just another problem. Poor piggies x x

Reaction score
The potteries guinea pig rescue x

Please can staffordshire/cheshire people consider The potteries guinea pig rescue for future new friends. All our piggies have full health check and wont leave us until healthy and ready for new home. Pass our details to others hopefully they may call us rather than taking unwanted piggies to pets at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.