• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Panic Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've never once suffered with a panic attack but this last month I've had 3 miniture ones (I've managed to stop before they escalated) and last night traveling to a comedy show (Frankie Boyle) I had one massive one that seem to go on forever :'(

I don't know whats causing them, who has suffered with them, how do you cope and calm down?

x (I've studied them in Psychology)

wow, i havent but i will be interested in following this thread as i do panic a lot and worry about situations and things.

Hope you ok now x

I used to suffer them in my old job. I hated it so much that I used to get panic attacks and palpitations. The doctor put me on beta blockers which I could take in work if I was feeling stressed out and it definitely helped. I have since left that job and no longer need to take them.

Panic attacks can be a very stressful thing and really frightening when they happen. I would go to the doctor tho as they may be able to find out the reason you are having them

I first started getting panic attacks in school, but I didn't know what they were then. I just remember being dizzy, not being able to breathe, tingling upper lip, not being able to feel my hands etc. Since I started taking medications for my mental health my anxiety is pretty much non-existant in comparison with those days.
My little brother has had a few major panic attacks as well, out of the blue.

Can you think of anything that may trigger them? Do you remember what happened the first time you had one?

My tips:
- Remove yourself from the situation. Eg,, crowded room --> go outside.
- Breathe in calming green thoughts, breathe out the bad red thoughts.
- Avoid caffiene.
- Stop and think about why you are anxious. Reason with your thoughts. Are you actually in any danger?

I can't even get down to the reason why I started having one. I was in the car with my boyfriend traveling to the venue, it's about 1/2 hour away from us, I've been 3 times within the last month.

I remember feeling nervous, the butterflies in the stomach thing. It built up and moved further up, under my lungs and then hit my heart, I felt like I was trapped, hyperventalting, my boyfriend couldn't stop the car and couldn't find anywhere to park, I was drinking water and starting to feel my throat close, my heart was thumping, my stomach wanted me to throw up. When we finally stopped, I was shaking, hyperventalating whilst also trying to control my breathing and count to 10. I got out the car and instantly felt better, but also felt like crying, my boyfriend just held me whilst I violently shook and I developed a lump in my throat the whole evening :(

Oh dear...perhaps you should visit your GP?

You must try and carry a paper bag with you, honestly it is the best thing to calm your breathing down until you find out what is causing them...

I suffered from panic attacks when I had my children, and my mum used to get terrible panic attacks were she couldn't leave the house:(

Stress, hormonal imbalance and hereditary causes are the usual causes.

Try to cut out some stress/worry in your life and they will pass.

I don't get them now but I have felt a bt breathless and panicky when I am tired or run down.

I try to take my mind of it when I start to feel odd and think of happy things to curb it.

Peter Andre admits to having panic attacks too so it is widespread problem

Thank you, I've had a low motivation day today, apart from getting some job seekig done, I've done nothing, I had revision and house work to do >.<!

I try to avoid drugs whenever possible. I'm a firm believer in self healing (I'm buddhist) I don't believe in healing vibes, but that unless its cancer, tumour, big things, your body will cope and over come it. I tend not to take headache pills and such either.

I suffered from them too, I'd suggest going to the docs if they get worse he could help with medication etc. and when you get a panic attack move yourself from the situation, take five mins to yourself calm yourself down and breathe, i still get panic attacks if I'm going to social occasions with lots of people- i dont know why but they really stress me out!I also found swimming helped my panic attacks oddly enough, i think it's because it helped me relax and unwind after a busy day at work, perhaps you could find something that would help you relax at the end of the day? :) Hope they ease up soon

Ooh ive just read about your post on meds sorry! The doctor can also advise you on self therapy groups in your area which can help you with techniques to relax yourself in that situation :))

you must believe in Qi and acupuncture points then. people who are unwell believed to have their Qi points blocked. yoga may help to unblock Qi. :)

Well the fact that you know you're having panic attacks and doing something about it is the first step WELL DONE :)
My girlfriend has them a lot and has lived with them for years, she has had meds and phsyc treatment which all have helped.....but she still says that being able to control them has helped her the most :)
It sounds like you've got a very understanding boyfriend too, that was lovely that he supported you like that :)
Take care

Glynis, Velvet and Onyx xx>>>xx>>>xx>>>

My daughter had recurrent very severe panic attacks which culminated in her being hospitalized for two weeks last year. The very best method we found for off setting one was distraction tactics. Whether it's putting on the telly, making yourself think about something else, it has to be an activity that totally focuses your mind. The paper bag never helped her. She needed to be somewhere where she felt safe. It's probably just your anxiety levels running really high. You need to learn some coping strategies, a book can help, or your GP could either help or refer you. It's not fun, you have my sympathy. <3

I studied part of this in Psychology A level and have read further about it in my home study books. I will see if I can check out some of the basic 'help' and 'how to control' guides on these attacks, okay?

You will be alright, the answer to begin controlling these attacks is in 'your breathing'. Don't worry.

Beth xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back