Patch the Rabbit

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m devastated.
We’ve just been to the vet for Patch’s annual vaccinations.
I could see through the window of the room they were in....suddenly there were three vets in the room with my bunny boy, he was in there ages - a lot longer than it would take to do the vaccinations - and I just knew that something wasn’t right. Upon a routine check up, they have found a lump inside of him. They can’t tell exactly what it’s affecting at the moment or what it is. As rabbits need two vaccinations two weeks apart, he can’t have surgery part way through the vaccinations, so we have to go back in two weeks for the second vaccination and the vet is going to check him again and book surgery. He’s 7 years old, the chances of him not surviving be anaesthetic, regardless of what is actually wrong with him.....
He’s such a happy bunny currently running and binkying around my living room enjoying life, it’s so hard to know he could be so poorly right now

Attachments

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How shocking for you! 😟 I hope it's not serious and surgery goes well if that's what he needs xx

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you.
I’m so worried about him having anaesthetic at his old age. I absolutely trust my vet though and the vet seemed as confident as he could be about putting an old boy under anaesthetic. He is otherwise healthy so hopefully is strong enough for an anaesthetic. No weight issues, eats well, same feisty attitude. If he can come through this he is going to be even more spoiled than he already is!

To be honest I really don’t know much more than that or what they plan to do. It was such a shock to take him for a routine vacc and find out bad news that my mind has only held onto the basics!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m so sorry that a routine visit turned into bad news for your Patch. Fingers crossed that the lump is not anywhere seriously obstructive and he will make it through anaesthetic. 💕

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry for your shock.
But before booking him in for surgery I would definitely ask to have him x-rayed and then possibly given an ultra sound.
Remember that not all lumps need removal, and either leaving it alone or a small biopsy maybe be a better place to start.
Given his age though surely some non invasive tests could be done sooner.
I understand they might not want to operate immediately (if that is even necessary) but surely leaving you worrying about your boy for 2 weeks with no real information other than 'a lump', also isn't in anyones best interests?

I would be tempted to call them back and ask for some basic tests to be done a little sooner.
We had a female who developed a lump on her side when she was around 5, and all the basic tests showed it really did appear to be a fatty lump - it didn't get in the way, and didn't grow very fast so we just left it, and she happily lived another 2 years before dying of something unrelated to the lump.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Aw, so sorry, I hope it’s nothing serious and can easily be sorted, poor lad and poor you, it must have been horrible seeing all those vets around him x

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Only just seen this thread but I am so sorry for this news and I hope that it isn’t anything serious.
Thinking of you and Patch and sending lots of hugs❤