• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pdsa

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_winged_angel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There have been many threads that I have mentioned these guys, but I really do believe the work they do is wonderful and benevolent. When my Alphonse was seriously ill, we couldn't have afforded a huge vets bill, as I am on Employment and Support Allowance as I am very poorly. I wasn't poorly when I took my pets on, but became poorly as time went on.

As we receive Housing and Council Tax benefits, we were, and still are entitiled to Vet care at our local Vet Aid Hospital. This is free of charge on the proviso that we make some kind of contribution of what ever we can afford. The one in Oldbury actually were accredited for their care for small animals and cavies.

If you have a poorly pet and receive benefits, you can find out if you are eligible for Vet Aid at www.pdsa.org.uk

All the best
Wendy xx

Jacs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sorry but I don't totally agree I was once on benefit due to illness and I asked for [*]advice[/*] over the phone for my piggie who became ill, I was so upset my pig became ill the vet nurse was explaining what I should do she stopped mid-sentence and said are "you on housing benefit?" I said "No i am on Incapacity Benefit" she said abruptly "sorry can't help you find a private vet" I said "you have to be joking what about putting sick animals first?" she as said "sorry can't help you" I didn't ask for an appointment I wanted advice.
So sorry so much for putting sick animals first there put money first, I was on benefit just the wrong one for them. I had donated money to them so many times now i only donate to animal organisations that actually put animals first and the PDSA is not one of them.
Luckly at the time my dad paid for his vet bills for me and I paid him back, but what about other people in similar situations who didn't have housing benefit and didn't have a kind family member/friend to help them out.
Okay rant over :)) :))

Jacs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sorry but I don't totally agree I was once on benefit due to illness and I asked for advice over the phone for my piggie who became ill, I was so upset my pig became ill the vet nurse was explaining what I should do she stopped mid-sentence and said are "you on housing benefit?" I said "No i am on Incapacity Benefit" she said abruptly "sorry can't help you find a private vet" I said "you have to be joking what about putting sick animals first?" she as said "sorry can't help you" I didn't ask for an appointment I wanted advice.
So sorry so much for putting sick animals first, I was on benefit just the wrong one for them but still on a very low income. I had donated money to them so many times now i only donate to animal organisations that actually put animals first and the PDSA is not one of them.
Luckly at the time my dad paid for his vet bills for me and I paid him back, but what about other people in similar situations who didn't have housing benefit and didn't have a kind family member/friend to help them out. Unfortuntely my piggie didn't make it.
Okay rant over :)) :))

Last edited:

1_winged_angel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sorry that you had such a negative experience with them :( When my Alphonse was dying they were great with me and were so sympathetic when we lost our angel

Jacs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am really pleased they were so good when you needed them and thats how they should be :)

I am really angry how we got treated by them esp when they bang on about putting sick animals first and well yes but only in the right circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.