Pellet restriction - weight or age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When should we restrict pellets? Is it age related or when they reach a certain weight. Basil and Snowball are approx 7 to 7 and a half months. I weighed them this morning and Basil is 999g and Snowball is 1008g, Snowball has overtaken Basil. There was a time where Basil was about 80g more.

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I usually give my little herd unrestircted amount. I would personally not worry if one has overtaken another, some piggies just tend to grow a little bit bigger, they still have a little more growing to go. Because of this i really wouldnt restrict at the moment, as they are still growing boys, they need there nutrition. Usually animals (and humans) need more calories when growing and then less when they become senior.

When they are adults, just keep an eye on the waistline, and then restrict the pellets if necessary.

xx.

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too really, mine are 6 months and 14 months, but were rescues that were underweight, they eat A LOT, 2-3 bowls of veggies a day, loads of hay and they have one of these for their dried food
32988_LRG.jpg

which I'm filling up morning and night with Wagg optimum pellets, so more than the recommended amount, but they just seem to eat a lot more than my old boys but am wondering if this is because they are catching up after having a hard start in life? They also poo a lot more than my old boys and I'm cleaning them out most days.
I'm going to weigh them later then e-mail the rescue and see if she has any previous weights for them, they do look to have gained a bit even over the past couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.