• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pellets?

Piggies4Life_Draxy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was wondering, if I have 2 pigs should I feed them 2/8 pellets (this would be for both pigs) or should I have 2 bowls and put 1/8 pellets on each bowl? What should I do?

Piggies should have a tablespoon per piggy per day of pellets. I scatter feed the pellets. This avoids food hogging, gives them enrichment and a bit of exercise as they have to run (or walk around arthritically in my piggies' case) around foraging for them.

I scatter feed my pellets, too; about 1 tablespoon per piggy per day. It minimises food bullying and provides extra enrichment activity that stimulates foraging behaviours.

We have had a closer look at the calcium content of pellets and even the no added calcium ones have weight for weight more calcium than the vet highest in it, kale. Reducing the amount of pellets gives you more leeway for your veg diet. They will get their vitamin C either way. Pellets and veg together replace the supplementary role that wild forage used to play in the mainly grass/hay based diet guinea pigs have evolved on.

Back