• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I’m applying for teacher training (save me from myself!) and need to write a personal statement. I’ve completed everything except that, references (I know who I’ll be using) and choices. Thing is I’m stuck on how to start! 😬

If you’re a teacher, please can you help me and tell me what skills you think are important. Also the downsides - I’m thinking paperwork, strict guidelines as to what the children should know, stressful particularly if there are sats coming up and ofsted reports...having to multitask because children won’t all be at the same level and learn in the same way.....

I’m having some school experience at my kids’ school after half term so that will be good. Of course not in their classes 😁

thank you in advance, I appreciate it more than you know!

Safeguarding is a really important one, also awareness of different learning styles (as originally propsed by Honey and Mumford).
You should probably mention your ability to teach citizenship skills, and how you will make your curriculum broadly applicable to the challenges of our ever changing contemporary society...
Hope that helps, I helped my daughter with this a while ago before she had a baby and deferred her teacher training place! She got 5 unconditional offers though so we must have got some of it right :)
Best of luck!

Are you applying for PGCE?

I don't know if it will help but I have used Reed website for helping clients write personal statements though theirs are for cv's I know the website also has a guide for university statements. Might be worth a look

Thank you everyone. Yes I’m applying for PGCE, hopefully the salaried route. I can’t afford to drop salary. But there are some that salaries routes that don’t offer pgce.

@PigglePuggle wow you definitely did something right! I’m about to do some more safeguarding training due to my role in church so that will be good. As for the rest, looks like I have more reading to do! 😬 how did your daughter get on?

@sport_billy i saw that website when browsing for pointers on personal statements. I’m also meant to be hearing from an experienced teacher from DfE who’ll also help me.

I was a special education teacher in the US for 8 years. I think talking about how you will adapt to different learning styles and different ability levels would be good.

Thank you Heather. I have already experienced that with my own children, particularly in terms of maths. I wonder, would that be worth mentioning that I teach my children some things?

Did you give it up teaching then?

Thank you Heather. I have already experienced that with my own children, particularly in terms of maths. I wonder, would that be worth mentioning that I teach my children some things?

Did you give it up teaching then?
Yes, I taught up until I had my first child, and now I am a stay at home mom, my kids are 4 and 6. And teaching your own children definitely counts as experience and is worth mentioning.

I’m applying for teacher training (save me from myself!) and need to write a personal statement. I’ve completed everything except that, references (I know who I’ll be using) and choices. Thing is I’m stuck on how to start! 😬

If you’re a teacher, please can you help me and tell me what skills you think are important. Also the downsides - I’m thinking paperwork, strict guidelines as to what the children should know, stressful particularly if there are sats coming up and ofsted reports...having to multitask because children won’t all be at the same level and learn in the same way.....

I’m having some school experience at my kids’ school after half term so that will be good. Of course not in their classes 😁

thank you in advance, I appreciate it more than you know!
I know this is a bit late and I am not a teacher but I did have to write a personal statement for my university and we had like this 'golden rule' where it was 80% why the subject, academics and interest in the subject (anything you read etc) and 20% about yourself. That is all the help I can give as I am not a teacher and have no knowledge/experience, but I would definitely put in there about the experience you are gaining as that always looks good. Good luck!

One word.... Academy, ruined everything with schools. Just a business. Sorry I'm a grumpy git. Hope all goes well lol👍

One word.... Academy, ruined everything with schools. Just a business. Sorry I'm a grumpy git. Hope all goes well lol👍
I love your comments haha, they always make me laugh. Yeah, my old secondary school (most in the area) have turned into academies. All to do with marketisation, aristocracy and neoliberalism unfortunately :(

I love your comments haha, they always make me laugh. Yeah, my old secondary school (most in the area) have turned into academies. All to do with marketisation, aristocracy and neoliberalism unfortunately :(
Primary school are focusing on the bright kids, and the middle kids, and leaving the not so clever kids behind, because they say that they will never be high flyers and they get the best stats at end of year from boosting up the bright kids. It's terrible. I know alot of teachers, and the love has gone from them at work, its just. A business, if you try put passion in, you are shot down and must fall in line

Meant parentocracy

Primary school are focusing on the bright kids, and the middle kids, and leaving the not so clever kids behind, because they say that they will never be high flyers and they get the best stats at end of year from boosting up the bright kids. It's terrible
Not so sure about primary school as it's been a while lol, but my neighbour has said that her kids are regularly tested and worry about the SATS exam or 11+ which baffles me because they are so young and shouldn't have to worry like that

Not so sure about primary school as it's been a while lol, but my neighbour has said that her kids are regularly tested and worry about the SATS exam or 11+ which baffles me because they are so young and shouldn't have to worry like that
Terrible, another thing is if a kid is naughty these days, he must have aspergers or have adhd.

Back