• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pet Insurance - Experience?

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

My wee question is about pet insurance. Does anyone have any experience with it for their guinea pigs?

We're based in Scotland and now have four piggies so we're looking to obtain some pet insurance to hopefully get cover for any emergencies, vet bills, etc. and wondering if anyone knows any good insurance company for small animals, anyone you would recommend, and generally, how pet insurance works when you have four pigs to cover? Is it similar to other insurance types with excess liability?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you in advance!

With regards,
Laura

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

My wee question is about pet insurance. Does anyone have any experience with it for their guinea pigs?

We're based in Scotland and now have four piggies so we're looking to obtain some pet insurance to hopefully get cover for any emergencies, vet bills, etc. and wondering if anyone knows any good insurance company for small animals, anyone you would recommend, and generally, how pet insurance works when you have four pigs to cover? Is it similar to other insurance types with excess liability?

Any help is very much appreciated, thank you in advance!

With regards,
Laura
Hi and welcome

Please take the time to read the information in this guide here; it is an overview of what (little) is available for guinea pigs: A guide to vets fees, insurance and payment support.

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

Please take the time to read the information in this guide here; it is an overview of what (little) is available for guinea pigs: A guide to vets fees, insurance and payment support.
Hi, and thank you for your reply.

We've looked into Exotic Direct but couldn't find the information we were looking for. (We were planning to call them directly and inquire about this.) Was also hoping there might be other pet insurance companies for small animals that exist besides them.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and thank you for your reply.

We've looked into Exotic Direct but couldn't find the information we were looking for. (We were planning to call them directly and inquire about this.) Was also hoping there might be other pet insurance companies for small animals that exist besides them.
Unfortunately there is VERY little around for guinea pigs. It is either go with the one company if you are lucky to have exotic pets insurance at all or to save up for a vet fund. We have a some members with insurance. More are going by the saving up method as the insurance will not necessarily cover everything.

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I looked into insurance but they don't do lifetime cover so once a piggies had an illness after that insurance year it isn't covered the next year, they also don't insure after the age of 4 I think it was or cover preexisting illness and also the monthly payments were high for what they pay out! I could only find exotics direct that covers piggies too. I've got lifetime pet insurance with petplan for my bigger pets though and it's been a lifesaver! I definitely wish cover for exotics was more of a reasonable option! We have a no interest credit card for vet bills, not ideal but better than nothing at all! Also the vet bills are definitely a lot higher than you would expect, just over a week ago I paid £150 for an xray and that's one of the cheaper bills I've had. My rainbow bridge piggies palliative care probably cost around £200+ a month plus the initial £200ish for diagnosis 😱

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I use Exotic Direct and have done for many years (at least 10!). They have literally been a life saver as I dont need to worry about vet costs for exploration, xrays etc. I havnt come across a situation when they wont pay out on separate illnesses per pig. In fact I had one which was literally a walking vet bill for several years and they paid out each time. I am just waiting for her £700 claim to go through for her end of life care so will let you know if they pay up!

I have another who is over 4 and I have just insured her as I recently adopted her. I have two other claims going through (please dont judge me I am having bad run lol!) and currently my bills this year will be around £2000. I pay about £400 per year. I personally wouldn't go without as it gives me peace of mind.

They did have an issue with one guinea...he was considered obese by an inexperienced vet which meant they could exclude anything relating to obesity...which could have been anything! So I declined that one and self insure for him. Sometimes they wont insure or cover against dental either (or I think they pay 50%) I also find Exotic Direct incredibly helpful so just give them a call and see what they say. I do have premium insurance which covers up to £3,000 per pig per year. Its about £14 per pig per month I think.

Lxxra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I looked into insurance but they don't do lifetime cover so once a piggies had an illness after that insurance year it isn't covered the next year, they also don't insure after the age of 4 I think it was or cover preexisting illness and also the monthly payments were high for what they pay out! I could only find exotics direct that covers piggies too. I've got lifetime pet insurance with petplan for my bigger pets though and it's been a lifesaver! I definitely wish cover for exotics was more of a reasonable option! We have a no interest credit card for vet bills, not ideal but better than nothing at all! Also the vet bills are definitely a lot higher than you would expect, just over a week ago I paid £150 for an xray and that's one of the cheaper bills I've had. My rainbow bridge piggies palliative care probably cost around £200+ a month plus the initial £200ish for diagnosis 😱
Wow. Thank you for your reply, very informative. Will probably look into starting a vet bills fund now. Many thanks!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. Thank you for your reply, very informative. Will probably look into starting a vet bills fund now. Many thanks!
The best way is to see building up for a vet as part of their weekly or monthly living cost and regularly set aside part of your salary. Severe illness or an operation can quickly run into the hundreds of pounds/dollars - and you can bet that it usually happens at the worst time possible! These things also don't usually happen conveniently spaced out, but they happen in wodges.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Any bits I make or sell = my vet fund in PayPal.. it's got about £280 in but nice to know I have something... failing that, it would be my credit card....

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have a vet insurance...it's called "The Husband". 😂😂

But seriously, we are lucky enough that we could afford it whenever the piggies need to be taken to the vets. But when we had my first 3 piggies, we had to use credit cards coz hubby's business was bad during those times. We were in debt for a couple of years.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We looked into piggy insurance with Exotics Direct but it seemed a bit expensive for what they offered, for 2 healthy young piggies it was quoted at over £20 per month, with a maximum payout of £2000 per year... so we just have a vet fund, with a credit card for back-up! I always make sure I have at least £200 per piggy easily available in my savings, often a routine minor illness (for example recently one of my piggies got a respiratory infection that needed 3 vet trips in total, and an injection of antibiotics, then medicine to bring home... then passed it on to her friend who also needed a vet check and antibiotic medicine!) might cost about £150 at a typical UK vets, and if anaesthesia for an operation or an xray is involved you might pay £250-300... best start saving, piggies are expensive! :)