• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pet Shop Rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I went to pick Emily up from school and then we went to the Doctors as she is still complaining of earache so the Doctor gave her some more antibiotics. Anyway I decided to go and get some Timothy Hay from a local pet shop. I got Sunshine from the same shop in the summer!

Firstly we went to look at what pigs they had, only two boys which were lovely. One was like Sunshine although bi-colour, darker in colour and so cute. I don't remember Sunshine being that small but he must have been!

We then came across some Syrian Hamsters and to my absolute shock and horror one poor little one had hung himself from the water bottle holder that you see in some pet shops. I don't know how he managed it, you couldn't see his face just his body, legs and tail. :'( At first Emily and I laughed as we thought he was just playing but then it became apparant that he wasn't moving. Emily got quite upset over it so I told a boy that worked there and he said dozily that he would 'check them in a minute.' The shop was full of school children so would upset them!

So I got my hay, already had it in my hand before I found the hamster! Quite suprised it is good quality! Anyway, at the cash desk there was a cardboard travel box containing a bunny. He was being returned because the teenage girl (who was about 17) had already got a bun from a friend, her dad didn't know so bought her another from the shop! The owner wouldn't accept the bun back, I heard the young girl saying that the shop bun was fighting with her babies (she must have more than one.) So again a lack of education on getting buns to bond! I hope she saw sense and took the bun back because who knows what will happen to it, again, it's a case of seeing the pounds, shillings and pence signs infront of the eyes! :tickedoff:

I was so mad! I left before hearing the outcome. The owner of this shop told me NOT to get a boar for Sunshine and I can put him with a young bun when he is older! She has a terrible attitude to the animals but the shop is pretty good!

Louise
x

Argh! I would have took the rabbit home with me! Hmm, maybe that's why I have so many . . .!
I can't go into pet shops without complaining about something! I really don't like them but have to go in from time to time and there aren't any locally that don't sell animals. But I nearly always leave feeling angry about something ::)

There are a couple by me that don't sell animals so I will give them a try. They are by Emily's school so hopefully they will have the same kind of hay for my pigguns!

Louise
x

Thats just plain terrible. I probably would have brought the bunny home too. It's a shame how uneducated the pet shops can be. Poor little hamster.

If it was a guinea I probably would have brought him home but sadly I'm not well up on rabbits as yet. Oh when I said the shop was good, I meant for their treats and varities of hay! Some great hay cakes for the pigs.

That is terrible, what an awful thing for your daughter and you to witness, I was in a pet shop and spotted a hamster that had died and was part rotted in its cage, I reported them to the RSPCA but never heard anything back.

P@H told me not to get another male as a companion for Tommy a because he would fight with it, after taking advice from this forum I took hime to Grahams rescue and within a few minutes he was paired up with an 8 month old male, Tommy is delighted and follows his pal everywhere and Sparky is a wonderful piggy to have as a pet if I had took their advice Tommy would still be a quiet and withdrawn piggy, now he is happy as a pig in muck (or Timothy Hay)

Glad Sparky is settling in. Graham's pigs are lovely I've had two Sows from him too Flora and Fleur. Flora now takes food off me, only happened today so I'm well chuffed, made up for this horrible trip to this pet shop. Fleur will sniff it but isn't quite sure yet but they are both settling now which is great.

I told Dad tonight and he said it's one less hamster! You know he is winding me right up! He knows how to do it now, I go ape at him...lol He doesn't mean to be horrible, he is just looking for a reaction from me and when it comes to animals he know's he'll get one! Where my love of animals comes from I don't know as my lot are not that way at all!

I'm really close to my Dad as well, I'm a real Daddy's girl but he will be in my bad books if he continues to do me 'ead in! 0:)

Louise, that must have awful for Emily and you.
I too couldn't have taken the rabbit, as although I think they are cute I have never wanted one as a pet.
I don't think that pet shops are regulated well at all.
Maybe we should have a list of good pet shops, or is that wishful thinking. :-\
They can't all be bad. :)
Anne. x

I agree with that Anne, P@H in St Helens is pretty good, they gave me a refund on Cuzzy and paid for his injection when he had mites and they do have veggies in with the pigs. The hamsters and gerbils are in suitable containers for there size. The Hamster yesterday was in a pig box with one of those hot lights in! I hate them!

As for rabbits, I love them, but just don't have the space (other than the school bun) to house them right now. I think there is so much to still learn with pigs that I want to focus on that!

Well better get cleaned up, wish I had a magic wand so I could magic it clean...lol

Louise
x

Well better get cleaned up, wish I had a magic wand so I could magic it clean...lol

Louise
x
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D Let me know if you find one Louise, even a housework fairy would do. ;D ;D
Anne

LOL only the kitchen to do now, I just do basics as I can't do too much until Caitlin goes asleep or Peter is off work. Caitlin is permantly attached to me, she is now asleep leaning on me so I'll take her to bed now. I dread her going to school, I think she will cry a lot! lol

if it had been a dog or something everyone would have been up in arms but no one cares when its small animals.... its so sad that these people (who, lets face it, r most folks first port of call about their animal welfare) are so pathetically educated!

the shops should be much better regulated and people should have to get background checks before purchasing animals.... any weirdo can walk in off the street and buy guineas or rabbits for absolutely any purpose.... u know as well as i do its the lucky few who find the homes they deserve! pet shop owners should have a legal obligation to ensure the animals r going to good homes....

sorry u and your littleun had to see that.. it should never happen!
rant over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back