Pet Sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Meet our latest house guest... Cheeks!

She belongs to the OHs sister but has been separated from her 3 sisters as she has overgrown teeth and they are on holiday at the min. They have two cats as well and whilst they have someone going into the house to feed the others she was worried about making sure Cheeks gets enough food so she has come for a mini holiday to us. She is adorable but suffering A LOT! She can't chew and I have googled a recovery food mix and have ground up herbs, oats, pellets, seeds and added peanut butter, water, and a smidge of baby food to get her eating. She will take some off the spoon but it's little and often as she clearly is in pain. She's on 4 drops of metacam a day so I have split this into two doses to keep her eating.

It breaks my heart as the OHs sister decided not to take her back to the vets for a teeth clipping before bringing her up as last time it traumatised her :hb: Yes I am sure that was so much more traumatic than not being able to chew anything and being in pain everyday! :mal: OHs sister is very pro animal rights, her animals are her babies so I suppose I expected better really but I will be doing my best to keep her going for the next week and apparently she will be back at the vets as soon as they are home.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
She's adorable. I'm sorry that she is in a lot of pain though
Me too, I was half tempted to take her to a vets myself but my OH says no. His sister is a teacher so has more than enough time to fit in vets appointments at the moment which is so very annoying

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It is very annoying. I have a degu myself so understand how heartbreaking it must be to see her in pain.

You're in a difficult situation as the last thing you want to do it cause problems with your OH sister. Would it be possible for you to contact her and ask if she would mind you taking her to the vet?

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
She's gorgeous. I love Degu's. Fingers crossed she picks up soon!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Well things seem to be going fairly well. She seems to have gained 2 grams a day at the moment so fingers crossed that continues. I don't know if my vets is up for treating her but there is an exotics in the county. Would be so much easier if I didn't have a poorly piggy needing to go vets on weds for scans. I may well ask my vets while I'm there

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Cheeks. Hope she gets better soon and is able to eat by herself!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Cheeks went home last night weighing a full 10g more than when she came here! She is clearly in discomfort and the OHs sister has her booked in for a teeth clipping this morning so hopefully she will be feeling much better soon. Unfortunately with Bumbles vet trip costing £160 this week I couldn't even think about paying to take Cheeks to a vet myself :(

nicky

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well done for getting her weight up I bet that was no easy task. Glad she's getting her teeth seen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.