• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pig Hates Potassium Citrate

pigservant

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Paisley is 7 years old now and had a major bladder stone in the past. She is on a medication called potassium citrate for life to prevent stones and I got it marshmallow flavored thinking that might be pleasant and she hates it. It smells good but I put the smallest bit of it on my hand and tasted it and oh man it is bitter!

Is there anything I can mix it with to make it more tolerable? Unfortunately I have a full bottle of it and won't be running out so I can try a new flavor any time soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_152325_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_152325_Instagram.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1
Paisley is 7 years old now and had a major bladder stone in the past. She is on a medication called potassium citrate for life to prevent stones and I got it marshmallow flavored thinking that might be pleasant and she hates it. It smells good but I put the smallest bit of it on my hand and tasted it and oh man it is bitter!

Is there anything I can mix it with to make it more tolerable? Unfortunately I have a full bottle of it and won't be running out so I can try a new flavor any time soon.

Hi and welcome

The best way with bad tasting meds is actually to give them as they are in one fell swoop (a small quantity has the best chance of going all in) but to then follow it up with some plain water in order to wash away the worst of it and lastly with something strong tasting or a veg treat that your piggy loves . Accompany that with plenty of chivvying and praise.

Guinea pigs have double the taste buds of humans so diluting it means that they can still taste it - and you are faced with the task of getting double the volume into the piggy; and that can turn quickly into a real struggle, especially with the second syringeful. An adult mouth can hold about up to 0.5 ml but any more will run out if a piggy is refusing to swallow.

Whereas it is not so much of a problem if you spill some mouth rinsing water and the mouth is feeling lready much better afterwards. If you give a favourite treat straight away, it will take on a bitter taste and your piggy will go off it pretty quickly; hence the water follow-up. You can give the treat back in the cage if you wish or have the piggy munching while you take them back.

You may find the relevant chapter on how to best deal with uncooperative piggies in this link here (wuth pictures and videos): All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Hi and welcome

The best way with bad tasting meds is actually to give them as they are in one fell swoop (a small quantity has the best chance of going all in) but to then follow it up with some plain water in order to wash away the worst of it and lastly with something strong tasting or a veg treat that your piggy loves . Accompany that with plenty of chivvying and praise.

Guinea pigs have double the taste buds of humans so diluting it means that they can still taste it - and you are faced with the task of getting double the volume into the piggy; and that can turn quickly into a real struggle, especially with the second syringeful. An adult mouth can hold about up to 0.5 ml but any more will run out if a piggy is refusing to swallow.

Whereas it is not so much of a problem if you spill some mouth rinsing water and the mouth is feeling lready much better afterwards. If you give a favourite treat straight away, it will take on a bitter taste and your piggy will go off it pretty quickly; hence the water follow-up. You can give the treat back in the cage if you wish or have the piggy munching while you take them back.

You may find the relevant chapter on how to best deal with uncooperative piggies in this link here (wuth pictures and videos): All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Thank you so much! This is highly informative.

Back