• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggie in the Adventure park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt n Peppers mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well yesterday me, OH and my 2 girls went to an Adventure park. And since visiting last time they have a new animal section.
11am was 'meet the animals' so we went to check them out.

The Guinea pigs had a nice big comfy enclosure and I was impressed with the amount of hay and tunnels and hidey places, nice clean water, plenty of food. Wasnt so impressed with the Rodent exercise wheel stuck in the corner,rolleyes but the pigs wernt using it - surprise, surprise.
They put a few of the larger pigs them out on the grass enclosure while we were there, and brought a couple of the youngsters up to a table for all the children to put their grubby hands on them !
Anyway, I couldnt resist :red I asked the 'keeper' how old they were and he said about 5 to 6 weeks, I asked if they had been sexed and he said 'No, we are waiting for the vet to do that',, Ohhh I said, you know they could breed from about 3 weeks don't you? inbreeding The 'keeper' sort of spluttered and didnt know what to say.

Just thought I'd share this as I dont know why places like this do it. Are they wanting hundreds of Guinea pigs or are they not educated?

On the same subject a place in Cleethorpes we visited in June had at least 100 pigs most very pregnant (and itchy) wasnt impressed. We went back a few weeks ago and counted 6 youngsters. :{ I asked the lady on the desk where they had all gone, and she said 'Errr, well, people come in and ask about them, and we sold a few, they just kept breeding and it just goes on and on' and I said 'Do you sell them to pet store?' and she said 'no'. Which I didnt think they would have as they looked so itchy, but god only knows what happened to that lot. But then I think about all the repiles they have to feed, but dont want to think about that either :)>>>

And another farm me and my girls recently went where all the animals Guinea pigs - Rabbits, hens, chicks and geese were all together, outside on mud, and no food or hay available apart from the 50p bags of mixed musli stuff you could buy and throw in and feed anything with including the sheep. And 3 babies had escaped up a grass banking (at least they had food)
Sorry :red RANT RANT RANT over (for now)

That sounds horrible :)>>>

I didn't even know such places existed - I've seen petting zoos and animal farms but they never have anything smaller than a duck at the ones near me. Although, it never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people can be - I mean a "handler" who doens't actually know much about piggies?!? Surely it doesn't take much - a little common sense - to think, "we've got a load of guinea pigs, we need someone who knows about them to look after them"?!?

Thats not nice :(. I hate the way people treat animals sometimes. I've seen horrible things in some places in Spain. In one animal park I went to near my house there was this poor elephant all on its own in a small pen, bored out of its mind. They also had tigers there, but obviously couldn't put them out all at the same time, so one was out while 2 or 3 others were shut in tiny pens grrrr. I believe they have changed it now, but it was quite upsetting to see. At least there are lots of people that do care and look after their animals well, hopefully this outweighs the ones that don't :).

If you name it on here then a google search of the place will lead straight to your post. Probably best to pm if people want to know. :)

Things like this make me so mad. Places like these should not have animals they don't know how to look after.

On the same subject a place in Cleethorpes we visited in June had at least 100 pigs most very pregnant (and itchy) wasnt impressed. We went back a few weeks ago and counted 6 youngsters. :{ I asked the lady on the desk where they had all gone, and she said 'Errr, well, people come in and ask about them, and we sold a few, they just kept breeding and it just goes on and on' and I said 'Do you sell them to pet store?' and she said 'no'. Which I didnt think they would have as they looked so itchy, but god only knows what happened to that lot. But then I think about all the repiles they have to feed, but dont want to think about that either :)>>>

Is that the erm "zoo" near Pleasure Island?

Thats awful. We went to a farm place the other week which had guinea pigs and their water was brown! I wanted to bring them home.

I was in a french zoo the other day (holiday) there waqs a piggy enclosure, which also had 3 rabbits.the rabbits stayed outside, in the enclosure- they had a v impressive 10 ft by 3.5 ft hutch, with hay etc! i was a bit worried though becausethere were a fewq mummies- and a slightly pregnany- not fat- looking pig. inbreeding

Also we spotted two very comical pigs on monkey islasnd. they were just running on the green green grass, i wasn't sure if they were meant to be there, but all zoo keepers appeared to be hiding- but for all i know they could be males, that had been separated from the sows :{

xx

Bailey, the other place I wrote about where all the animals are housed together with no hay etc isnt too far a way from you too.
I hate to see Guinea Pigs with no hay (or grass- just dirt on the ground) we all know how our piggies love hay, they need it to snuggle in too on our chillier nights not just to eat. I was on a mission by getting my 2 girls to collect handfuls of grass off the side and throw it in for them. Not only them but the hens and ducks looked scabby and plucked sore. I did tell someone that there were piggies and a rabbit running free up a grass banking but either I was telling the wrong person who didnt have a clue what I was on about or it was a normal thing to loose a few.
If I could have caught the babies that had legged it they might have found a place in my rucksack :))
We got to the place too late to 'cuddle a guinea pig' which they did in the morning. I was wondering how they caught them when I spotted a childs fishing net propped up next to them mallethead

I don't mind well looked after animals at places like that but my heart goes out to the not well looked after ones.

Bailey, the other place I wrote about where all the animals are housed together with no hay etc isnt too far a way from you too.
I hate to see Guinea Pigs with no hay (or grass- just dirt on the ground) we all know how our piggies love hay, they need it to snuggle in too on our chillier nights not just to eat. I was on a mission by getting my 2 girls to collect handfuls of grass off the side and throw it in for them. Not only them but the hens and ducks looked scabby and plucked sore. I did tell someone that there were piggies and a rabbit running free up a grass banking but either I was telling the wrong person who didnt have a clue what I was on about or it was a normal thing to loose a few.
If I could have caught the babies that had legged it they might have found a place in my rucksack :))
We got to the place too late to 'cuddle a guinea pig' which they did in the morning. I was wondering how they caught them when I spotted a childs fishing net propped up next to them mallethead

If you don't want to name publicly would you PM please? I don't think I've been there, I'm sure I would remember something like that :<> but I don't want to end up going there if it's like that:<>
If they have to be caught with a net I can't imagine they take well to being cuddled :(

There's one place close to me where the pigs & bunnies are seperated and in the summer the pigs have their own village with little houses :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back