• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggie With A Hard Belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieCavy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've noticed recently with one of my sows that her stomach looks quite bloated and just this morning I've noticed on the right side it is quite solid to touch. She can sometimes look like a pregnant sow but she definitely isn't as her cage mate was castrated several years ago! Does anyone have any idea what it is or has seen something similar? I am going to ring the vets to book her in tomorrow but just wondered f anyone had any insight in the meantime?

Definite vets check required for this one. Is she eating? How is her poo output?

Please have her seen as soon as possible; it sounds like she has a bloating problem and it is an emergency situation. Bloat can kill!

Make sure that you take your girl off any fresh food that could further contribute to the build-up of gas. Have her diagnosed as to whether you are dealing with a build-up of gas or with a blockage; treatment will differ. If she has got gas bloat, it is important to vibrate her with a gentle massage to help shift the gas. she may need gas breaking meds as well as gut stimulant that actives the gut muscles.

How is her pooing and her appetite?

Ok, I knew a vet check was a must so will ring them first thing. Her appetite is absolutely fine, admittedly I did give her fresh veg this morning not realising how bad she was so will stop the fresh food straight away!

If I'm completely honest I haven't seen her individual poos so wouldn't be able to tell you what they are like but all the poo in her hutch is absolutely normal.

She didn't seem to be in pain when I was feeling her abdomen but then I know that Guinea Pigs are very good at hiding their pain so that means nothing really.

What's her name? I would separate and see if she is pooing. Is she eating hay?

Her name is Honey :)

I don't have a separate cage to put her in, only a small pet carrier..will that do? She is still eating her hay, she was seen eating just 15 minutes ago.

It's good news she is eating, keep the hay going in to Honey and monitor poo output, look out for obviously no poo or mishapen poo's this indicates gut issues. The more info you have to give the vet the better.

Ok, I will keep an eye on her..I will go and sit and watch for a while. She seems absolutely fine in herself but her stomach is definitely not normal :(

I would get her to the vet as soon as you can. Honey definitely needs examining. Bloat or blockages are very serious, can you get her an apt this afternoon?

Hi @RosyCavy when I want to check one of my guinea pigs poop out put I just put some puppy nappies and cover with a small fleece in my bath. That way I can monitor a guinea pigs output. I don't leave them there long but it is a good solution when you need to check the poop situation for an individual pig.

It is very encouraging that Honey is still eating normally and that she is eating hay. if it was a blockage, she she would be seriously off her food and very uncomfortable - you don't feel like eating if nothing can processed -, the same with a serious amount of bloat. Please keep an eye on her and have her checked tomorrow. If things get worse, get some gripe water for babies from a pharmacy and give 0.2 ml every three hours. You can also put in some brown cardboard or toilet roll inners. Guinea pigs whose digestion is out of balance often prefer very rough, nutrionally poor fibre to help rebalance the guts. Poo soup, which you make from soaking fresh healthy poos from a companion in a bit of water, which you then syringe, can also help to restock the guts. A bit gross, but it works!

We cannot check over the internet, so we cannot make any guesses as to how bad it is or whether you are feeling an ovarian cyst (which would also need checking by a vet). :(

Thank you for all your advise guys, as has been said though, it is hard to check over the Internet but just wanted to see if anyone has any guidance while I waited until the morning to ring the vets.

I have been checking her often, last time I went out to her I picked her up and she felt slightly less hard on the sides but very solid underneath still. She happened to poo right into my hand and it was a nice solid, normal piggie poo :) she was also eating her hay when I first opened the hutch door.

My vets are generally really good and always get me in quickly, and so far they have seemed to have very good knowledge of Guinea Pigs.

I will keep you all posted :) thanks again.

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in updating you!

So I took Honey to the vets who agreed that something was definitely wrong with her :( she seemed to think it was a growth of some sort but not entirely sure what. When I asked if it could be an Ovarian Cyst she said she wouldn't rule it out.

Honey is going back to the vets today to be put under and have an ultrasound. If they find anything that needs removing then they will take it out while she is still asleep.

I am so nervous about taking her, I don't get to pick her up until this evening so she will be on her own all day :( I hope that whatever they find is easily fixed and that she makes it through the anaesthesia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back