Piggles outside last night...advise needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you know I took my piggys from my mum's a couple of months ago. They were outside in a relatively open run all through the cold winter/snow etc. Since coming to me they have been living in my kitchen in a large cage.

All last week they were either outside during the day in their run on the grass or in their new hutch.

Last night we left them out for the first time. We put them in the shed with a duvet covering the back and top of the hutch. Packed it with hay, boxes, pigloos etc etc and also lined the hutch with lino and folded up towels and blankets etc.

This morning I went out first thing and was concerned it was a little bit more nippy than I'd have liked.

I'm now concerned about bringing them back in for another week or so because I know changing from indoors to out isn't good for them?

They were very happy outside and I know i must remember they had been out all winter so used to being outside. I just kept thinking they may be thinking that they were being outside and forgotten about again, I kept going out to reassure them but they were in the open part of the hutch when I looked through the window. Inside they're always hiding up! Perhaps they like it quieter out there...?

Awwww, what do you think?! :(

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It might be a little bit too early to put your pigs outside again, especially if they have adjusted to the warmth of your house, it seems that you have preapred your hutch well though. It might no be the best option to bring them back in now cause i have learnt through the forum that pigs are prone to getting UTI's if you do quick temprature changes, so it might be wise to keep them wrapped up in the hutch. Last night was cold, but it has been a lot warmer at night so hopefully it will get better soon x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The nights will get warmer throughout the week, but it would be good to wait until late April/May next year until the worst danger of cold nights has gone. At this time of the year, there is still a danger of real cold spells and even snow.

I wouldn't bring them back in again; the seesaw of temperatures is not good either, but keep an eye on the weather forecast so you know when to protect them at night.

Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for you help!

Is it still OK to bring them in at night for lap time or should I try and do this in the shed?

xx

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can bring them in for lap time I think, as long as it's not for a very long time.

I don't see any problem with bringing them back in, if you want to keep them in at night for another while, because why would bringing them into a warm place really cause problems? Wouldn't it just be the putting them out that would really cause problems? As long as you are not changing it around every week or something :))

Though their hutch sounds nice and cosy, they'll probably be just fine outside now :)

Reaction score
I know I think I worry too much. I went to work today leaving the shed door ajar incase they overheated!

These piggles will be the death of me, teehee x

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sheds can get really hot sometimes, so it's worth being over cautious sometimes :))

I had to take out the perspex window in mine and put up wire mesh instead cos I was paranoid my animals would overheat :)

Reaction score
Thats a fab idea, I was wondering what to do in the Summer as it gets so hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.