• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Deoderants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of guinea pig 'deoderant spray'?
My little one has been really truly stinking as of late, must be all the extra greens ^_^ but i was curious about this 'spray' that i spotted in p@h, not my favourite pet store, but its where i get my nuggets.
The only thing i can find online is deoderising 'wipes'. It all seems a bit daft to me but it peaked my curiousity.
Would it be more harmful than helpful?

I myself are a bit wary of anything with a spray as I believe i can't do their's or our lungs any good breathing in chemicals:(

I usually just give mine a half bath, just wash the bottom half if I think they are starting to smell, I use gorgeous guineas shampoo:))

Definitely no, I can't believe there is something like that around.

The only odour that should be noticed is the boar smell, even so they shouldn't be smelling too strongly all the time. Provided the cage is cleaned regularly smell is not a big issue, and also provided the pigs are healthy and bathed routinely/when necessary, and with boars this includes checking the genitals and anal sac.

I'm not sure I would be happy with a spray, it might scare my piggy but also dont think it would be good for his lungs.
I use pets at home pet wipes instead, just give him a wipe through and he smells lovely then :)
x

His cage is cleaned regularly and he's bathed every 6 to 8 weeks (he absolutely despises it too), but his bottom constantly stinks, and not in a bearable way.
I think its something he's eating, possibly savoy cabbage :)>>>
I'm not thinking of buying any 'deoderising' products, just simply enquiring into whether or not there even acceptable because they look frickin daft.

Food can certainly affect smell. Brassicas are gassy veg that certainly tend to make the poop in particular smell stronger:

Cabbage (includes "Fresh Greens" / "Spring Greens" )
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Kale
Brussels Sprouts

It may very well be the diet however

if a pig suddenly becomes really stinky you need to check they have not developed a urine infection. I have a pair of stinky boars....but when Willow got a urine infection it was the change in smell (which was really overpowering) that tipped me off....that and the fact that more water was being drunk during the day.

Can you put him on a light coloured towel/fleece for a few hours and monitor his wee to check to see if there is any dark coloured staining? If so, make an appointment with the vet and talk to them about how to collect a fresh urine sample so it can be tested when you go in to see them. If it is an infection he will need some antibioitics (septrin is best for urinary infections) to clear it up.

Hopefullly it is just the brassicas......

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back