• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggy Has Bad Habits? 😟

Why Is She Doing This?

• Total voters

Sakura the Piggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my piggies, Sakura has been chewing on the fabric of my clothing, the buttons on my shirts and jeans, she also scratches me and runs up to my shoulder and sits their like a parrot. Also, one she had a wire in her mouth, about to chew it, but I swiped it before she could chew. I give her chew toys (though they are ignored) and plenty of hay, but she still does it. Any ideas?

I've had many "parrot" guinea pigs over the years. I'd assumed they like the little warm nook there.

Piggies are herd animals and really need constant companionship of their own kind. I'm afraid no amount of human interaction can replace that. So the first thing I’d say is you get her a (Female) friend.

Secondly, how big is her cage? The minimum is 2x4 c&c grids (120 x 60cm).

Thirdly, be careful with chew toys as some have been found to be unsafe. I would say give her some cardboard boxes. Or you could stuff hay/veg in a toilet roll tube.

And sometimes she may be wanting to go back to her home when she’s biting/pulling at your shirt. May be toilet time or she just wants home.

I notice she said one of her piggies, so looks like she has 2 or more but are they housed together? I find some guine apig are like this when young, Dot and bernie were and grew out of it as time went by

I have two guinea pigs. My baby female one kicks and scratches when picked up, my dominant sow squirms and squeaks, and they are housed together in an EXTREMELY small cage.

I have two guinea pigs. My baby female one kicks and scratches when picked up, my dominant sow squirms and squeaks, and they are housed together in an EXTREMELY small cage.
Can I ask why you keep them in a small cage?
Are you looking into getting them an appropriate size encolsure?

Guinea pigs don’t usually like being picked up so this is why there is scratching and squirming. Being picked up cuts too close to their prey instinct, so they usually won’t enjoy it.

Are you planning on moving them to a bigger cage? A 2x4 c&c cage (or a commercial cage measuring the equivalent which is 150cm x 70cm is the recommended cage size for two piggies). A cage of 120cm x 60cm is the minimum welfare cage size set by the RSPCA

If you have to pick them up maybe try using a tunnel, box or snuggle sack. That way you don’t have to handle them directly (until they’re out the cage).

could you set up 24/7 access to a playpen so they can have more room? Do you get them out in a play pen daily? And how small is small?...

Guinea pigs don’t usually like being picked up so this is why there is scratching and squirming. Being picked up cuts too close to their prey instinct, so they usually won’t enjoy it.

Are you planning on moving them to a bigger cage? A 2x4 c&c cage (or a commercial cage measuring the equivalent which is 150cm x 70cm is the recommended cage size for two piggies). A cage of 120cm x 60cm is the minimum welfare cage size set by the RSPCA

Yes. I am planning to. But I do have visible scratches from my younger pig.

If you have to pick them up maybe try using a tunnel, box or snuggle sack. That way you don’t have to handle them directly (until they’re out the cage).

could you set up 24/7 access to a playpen so they can have more room? Do you get them out in a play pen daily? And how small is small?...
wpig
Well, I'll attach a photo of the cage.
But I can't do a playpen because first of all I don't have one 😂 and also they'll peepee and poo everywhere and they'll escape. I also have two dogs. And I do usually take out my squirmy younger one using a Snak Shak Log.

Attachments

• 20191016_205359.jpg
    20191016_205359.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20191016_205454.jpg
    20191016_205454.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191016_205905.jpg
    20191016_205905.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
wpig
But I can't do a playpen because first of all I don't have one 😂 and also they'll peepee and poo everywhere and they'll escape. I also have two dogs. And I do usually take out my squirmy younger one using a Snak Shak Log.

Hi,

It is recommended you get a bigger cage and there are many available online that are enclosed so are still safe with dogs/cats. The brand: 'Ferplast' springs to mind and is the cage I have for my boys. They have the cage in 120 and a larger 140 for only a little more money.

A larger cage improves your guinea pigs health and allows them to explore/excercise. Its less likely they'll gain weight as they can move around and popcorn and its less likely you'll see a fall out between your girls in the future.

Furthermore, a larger cage would likely see the behaviours you list less likely to occur. In a larger cage your guinea pigs can have access too more toys/hideys and are significantly less likely to get bored.

The sitting on the shoulder thing is more likely because it's a spot where she feels safe.

wpig
Sorry to say this, but that cage is way too small for youre guinea pigs to possibly be happy at all, you do need to get a 120x60cm minimum ASAP. Not having a go at a tall, is there any hay in thee either? You are going to run youre pigs into health difficulties mentally and physically, sooner or later. Bloat from no moving around enough, arthritis if they reach an older age, and if no hay then dental and gut problems soon. Do the right thing 👍 you can find a 2nd hand cage for a tenner if you look. All the best. You've done one thing good and that is having 2 guinea pigs together

I agree with skypipdotbernie. They really do need a much bigger cage for their all round health, and also the cage should have a huge pile of hay available 24/7. 120cm is the absolute minimum size stated by the rspca for welfare standards.

If you can attach a playpen to the cage with a lid (c&c grid cages can have lids put on them using the grids) so they will be safe from your dogs and get more space. You can get the grids from amazon quite cheaply. A piece of plastic down on the floor inside the playpen to protect the floor, and then cover it some fleece/puppy pads and hay on top of that.

Are you able to keep the dogs out the room while your guinea pigs have some floor time? Play pens aren’t very expensive but it would greatly benefit your piggies to have more room to run around and explore.

But first thing first, PLEASE get them a bigger cage as soon as possible.

Sorry to hear about your issues.
My boy Finn lives in 2X4 cage separately from my Lara in 2X3 cage. They are able to roam around, popcorn, jump around in their current cages. I see and hear them jump and move fast around in their cages.
They are frequently moved to different parts of the house for variety sake, sometimes next to the window for viewing the sun, sometimes near the kitchen to be part of conversation with the family. Mine are always engaged one way or another with the family.

When the weather is nice, they go outside in their cages with tops for security to enjoy the wind breeze. My boy Finn popcorns a dozen times when he goes outside so I call him the Outdoor Enthusiast. They are given treats like baby carrots for enhanced outdoor experiences. Lara mostly hides in her hidy, breathes in the outside air and eats her treats.

Currently, I put them away from the windows, and doors and put them in a very cozy part of the house to keep them warm for the winter months.

@Sakura the Piggy , any plans on getting a bigger cage? I notice you have posted in other threads since our replies and this thread has a vote part, so thought you might reply.

Go on.. Be a devil and buy a 120x60 😉 itl be better than little Christmas toys and treats for them. You'll see their excitement when you do it, instantly

@SkyPipDotBernie Okay 😝 I will. Little Eun is popcorning a little with very little space to popcorn. 😔 I will take a photo of my current cage situation. I want to build a C&C cage with the clear cubes.

Attachments

• 15756651281825724559212249277869.jpg
    15756651281825724559212249277869.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
Are you able to keep the dogs out the room while your guinea pigs have some floor time? Play pens aren’t very expensive but it would greatly benefit your piggies to have more room to run around and explore.

But first thing first, PLEASE get them a bigger cage as soon as possible.
I will, everyone. As a Pigmas surprise. 😏

Back