• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggy Insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abnoba

Reaction score
I was wondering if something like this is available anywhere? So far, I have only seen Insurance for cats, dogs, horses, or really expensive exotic animals, parrots etc.

Is there a piggy one, and is it worth it? How much do you pay monthly?

Its just that we are saving up for the wedding now, and if we have another case like the last where all of a sudden within a week you have to pay 200 odd quid vet bills, it could screw our finances.. it would just be nice to know that IF something were to happen, we have it sorted and its not ripping a hole into our savings.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm not sure.. I know you can get rabbit insurance.. but never heard of it for any other small animals. I'll have a look around and tell you if I find anything.

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
I know that years ago you could get it, but it then fizzled out. I think (not 199%) that it was due to life expectancy of piggies

Deb

Reaction score
Pearson Insurance used to do cover for pigs. It was a fantastic policy.

I had it and it cost me about £66 for a years cover for 20+ pigs. I know you may think thats a lot, but in one year I claimed 3 times to costs over £300 on vet bills, so I did in effect get more back than paid in.

They were excellent and I had no problems with any of the claims.

I think it went under though, as the were paying out far more in vet fee claims, than charging in insurance fees. Going on my own experience it was truly the case!

Its a pity, it didnt carry on but can understand why they stopped.

I havent yet found anyone else doing reasonably priced cover.

Deb x

michellemuffin

Reaction score
yes it did stop they use to advertyise on the back of Cavies magazines but stopped when they gave it up,

H

hils78

My sister works in insurance & her boss loves guinea pigs - I'll give them a nudge & see if they can find anyone who does it.

J

Jillybean

I think if you had a lot of guineas and could insure the lot for a set sum, it may be worth it, but I can't see it would be worth the insurance company doing it. Probably best to have a separate account and pay a small amount in each month, it'd soon mount up.

C

cavies

Hmmmm That is interesting I never thought about insurance for small animals! :) I wonder if they do this in Australia?! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.