• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pigs V Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

makeeachdaycount

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been doing alot of thinking recently about my relationship with my OH and my pigs. Quick low down - we've been together 2 years and lived together for 1. Moved into a new house in March and after alot of persuading I started my pig family. Thing is, my OH hates animals, he's allergic and is generally not an animal person at all. He tolerates them for my sake and makes an effort to listen to me chat about them and show a bit of an interest but I know iis forced on my account. This makes me think he must love me lots to go through it for me but also makes me realise how different we are as people. It breaks my heart that we cant share this passion as my love for animals is a huge part of who I am and whenever he flinches when a dog comes near him or says something derogatory about animals, it makes me feel further and further away from him. I knew we were like chalk and cheese from the start but I'm now starting to wonder if we are just too different.

Whenever I read posts on here, everyone mentions how their OHs are involved with their pigs and love them just as much. I was just wondering is this the same for everyone? Are you all with animal lovers? Or do some of your OHs have nothing to do with your animals?

Aw hun, hugs to you.

It sounds to me like you are very different people, but that he wants you to be happy so accepts your pigs because of this. But is you're questioning it yourself maybe there could be more than your piggies :(

Simon does like animals, but in the last 18 months or so we've jumped from one cat (he's a cat person) to two cats and four piggies. Pippa and Willow were a joint descison, although it was me who wanted them. I bought their hutch (and the ones which followed) and all of their supplies including food and veggies. He has never cleaned them out, nor would I ask him to. I have paid for all vet treatment required and travelled up to Helen on my own to collect Boris.

He does enjoy a cuddle every now and again (although Boris seems to bring him out in a rash :( ) and he does talk to them. On the quiet he would miss them if they weren't there.

We definatley have different levels of love for our furry family though. To me, they are paramount. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning and get in from work and then the last thing I do at night.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't see them suffer and would look after them if I wasn't here but they are my 'thing'. He went out and bought Pixel on his own (but more than anything I think it was to shut me up and get me a Christmas gift that he knew I would cherish!)

Partners are funny things... :{

*more hugs*

I am lucky to be with an animal lover. He introduced me to buns (we now have two rescue house buns) and I introduced him to pigs. At the time, they were all mine, but with losses and new arrivals, we now have four of the five that have come along since we have been together.

It must be difficult not having that same interest but maybe there is more to your doubts than just your animals? :{

My husband was purchased an I Pad from his dad, and he plays these stupid games for hours on end, and it bores me so much, I can't try and look animated when he explains the details to me, which is probably rude! So your Other Half must be at least slightly interested in the Pig Stories, otherwise he'd get that far away look....
My husband didn't want the Piggles at all. He never holds them, and won't allow them in our living room. He is not involved in their care at all. He will feed and de-poop them if I'm away with the girls though. We rescued them as an incentive for our daughter to get better after a spell in hospital last year. He does talk to them, and makes them little cardboard houses (that's what he does for a living) and it was actually him that spotted our boy was poorly two weeks ago. He sneakily gives them a stroke on the head, but I know he's not as "into" them as we are.
Relationships are always a compromise. Your fellow sounds tolerant of stuff he isn't into, or doesn't understand. He sounds like a good guy to me! Give him time, he may start talking to your piggies........ mine did! Good luck X x

Last edited:
Sometimes being different is not such a bad thing for a relationship.
I have to admit though that my boyfriend loves the piggies. We got our bunny together and we both look after all five furries. Having said this I look after Ghengis (his bearded dragon) as much as he does.

Simon does like animals, but in the last 18 months or so we've jumped from one cat (he's a cat person) to two cats and four piggies. Pippa and Willow were a joint descison, although it was me who wanted them. I bought their hutch (and the ones which followed) and all of their supplies including food and veggies. He has never cleaned them out, nor would I ask him to. I have paid for all vet treatment required and travelled up to Helen on my own to collect Boris.

He does enjoy a cuddle every now and again (although Boris seems to bring him out in a rash :( ) and he does talk to them. On the quiet he would miss them if they weren't there.

We definatley have different levels of love for our furry family though. To me, they are paramount. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning and get in from work and then the last thing I do at night.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't see them suffer and would look after them if I wasn't here but they are my 'thing'. He went out and bought Pixel on his own (but more than anything I think it was to shut me up and get me a Christmas gift that he knew I would cherish!)

Partners are funny things... :{

*more hugs*

This sounds exactly like me & Neil. He'll feed the piggies & buns for me if I'm at work, but that's pretty much it when it comes to caring for them.
I can't complain though as it was my decision to have the animals.

(BIG HUGS) x

My OH did tell me they were good pet's a couple year's ago and bought me some but we kept them in a hutch and now i know we didn't really know how to care for them properly.

Now i have 5 in a massive cage with toy's and pillow's and special food and proper hay and veggie's everyday and my OH think's i am mad and they don't need all they got so they are definately my 'thing' but he love's to pick them up while on pc game's has them on his lap often talk's to them but i don't think he listen's much to me when i got on about some new thing thay need or what want to make for them, just as i don't listen when he talk's about rockband drum's he need's even tho he's got a real drum kit or other xbox/pc game stuff cos I'm just not interested but i don't think we should split up over it , tho if he forget's to wash up one more time..:))

Me and my OH have been together for 11 years, and where I am absolutely animal mad and could talk about them all day hes not. Hes ok with them but doenst really bother with them, he will on the odd occasion stroke the cat and might feed her if I'm out and its gettin late but other than that hes not really bothered with them, all he says is 'Shes got to feed them and clean them so I aint bothered, as long as shes happy'
I currently own a canary, a cat, a hamster and a guinea pig, so becasue I cant talk about my pets to him I find forums like this where people share my passion. He must really like you though to put up with them even though hes allergic my OH would of made me get rid of my pets if he was allergic so he must really care, plus you dont have to love what the OH loves its things like that, taht keep realtionships interesting.

My husband hasn't really grown up with pets and is not into them. He just tolerates the guinea pigs for my sake. Thankfuly, he's not allergic.

He will feed them and clean them when I'm ill or away, drive me to the vets and build wooden houses or even a cage for them. I have caught him talking to them when he thinks I'm out of earshot. Funnily enough, he only calls them "guine pig", even though by now he knows most of them by name, considering they all live and roam in our living room... But he never takes them out and cuddles them except for when I plonk one on his lap! mallethead

Guinea pigs are my hobby and I let him ramble on about model railways instead...

Same with me and my OH, we are like chalk and cheese. I'm such an animal person and he's not really bothered and doesn't really like them in the house (I think he's getting used to it now though). Luckily I'm exactly like my mum, so we spend hours talking about them :) He will feed them if I'm away and very occasionally he will get one out for a little stroke but I guess he has his interests and I have mine, which we tolerate for each other :)

My OH is about the same, if I ask him to do something for the animals he will do it but otherwise he generally doesn't do it without being asked.

He takes me to the vets and apart from the odd remark he doesn't mind about the cost. But the animals are mine if we didn't have any he would be quite happy [if not happier].
Not all people are animal lovers, as long as they would never harm an animal then I can live with that.

Thanks all for your comments. Its nice to hear about other people's OHs. I know I'm very lucky to have my man, he's a great guy, works hard, is OCD when it comes to being clean so I never have to nag about tidying up and he gets on with all my family and friends. Its just such a shame we are so different in so many ways. First of all I thought it was a good thing but as the months pass, I see that it causes distance between us rather than having more to talk about so I wonder if we have what it takes to last. I'm probably just over thinking it but I do think if I'm having doubts it must not be right. If its right, you just know he's the one without any doubt yeah?

My partner adores our 7 guinea pigs and one hamster, we got our first guinea pig together in Feb 2008, called J.J, and they now have a very close bond, J.J was quite ill just after we got him and OH nursed him back to health :) he cleans them out, holds them etc, the only thing he leaves to me is feeding :)

My hubby isn't a fan of the guinea pigs either and he is allergic to them which doesn't help. We have even had arguments over them, the main one being that I would love for them to live in the house but due to his allergies, lack of space and the fact our house is rented it isn't possible.

He wouldn't want any harm to come to them and was outside in the cold yesterday insulating their hutch even more than what it already is. He will also feed them and tuck them up for the night if I am out and have the occasional cuddle.

All in all, he is NOT an animal lover although our cat is his pet (We had to ask for permission and pay a deposit for the cat).

I have my animals and he has his trains.

You are not alone :) x

My OH never really had animals or much involvement with them until he met me. Now he has 15 piggies in the same house as him lol He wasn't really fussed about animals but it is clear to see now that he does love them and has bonded. I'm quite lucky that he has found this fondness because otherwise I would be quite an unhappy person in this relationship.

I'm single (probably for many reasons!ha ha:)) ) and i wouldnt be able to put up with someone who didnt like my babies

My b/f isn't really an animal person, he like small baby animals but not to impressed when they get bigger.
I look after both dogs and all 8 guinea pigs, he says he's not bothered but I've seen him up in the shed with the guinea pigs when he thinks I'm not looking lol.
He's in to running & the gym & the xbox and none of which impress me but it's good to have some differences and the end of the day so long as you make some time for each other.
He'll go on the x box and I'll go on fb or here.

How refreshing to hear that several of us are in the same boat!

My hubby grew up with a single goldfish between him and his 2 older sisters!:{ To say he isn't a pet person is a bit of an understatement! I on the other hand have always had pets around me and found it very difficult to come home to an animal-less house when we first got together. Over the years I have managed to convince him to add to our furry family and we currently have 2 hamsters, 4 piggies, a cat and a dog - he has 2 aquariums of tropical fish, so he still has his love of all things aquatic!:))

I think it's great that with the internet these days you have forums such as this where you can share your love of piggies etc., I know my hubby wouldn't want to listen to me chattering away all the time about the animals - not that he would ever neglect or ignore them, they just aren't his "thing" - so it is great to be able to come onto TGPF and share with like minded people.

My OH is an animal person luckily though he prefers fish and birds. But he does like my guinea pigs and has been helping me out loads of syringe feeding Hector (holding him still) .. hes not as interested in with my horses but hes a little scared of them. But he also loves cats, dogs etc so all good :)

my OH is quite allergic, and more so to our current to that the last 2 who were smooth haired. He was very involved with the last 2 but these he couldn't care less, except he'll tell me when I'm not changing them often enough, feed them late, etc... He likes one of them better than the other but, because of the alergy, can't/won't pick them. He changed tghe litter when I was at the ,aternity hospital but he couldn't wait for me to come back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back