• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pimobendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

Can any one tell me what the doseage of Pimobendan is? My Amber has been diagnosed with a heart condition and my vet has finally agreed to prescribe it but doesn't know the correct dosage in a pig.
Any information gratefully received

Xx

I'll have a look for you, sometimes the dosages dont go to piggies in the meds books, because most drugs arent licenced for use in guinea pigs, i'll have a look in mine tho, bare with me.

x.

is the vet going to look into the dosage? I wouldnt want to tell you something and get it wrong. If the vet has given you vetmedin, the tablets for dogs then I'm not absolulty certain. The drug isnt even in my guinea pig medicines list of dosages.

Pimobendan is usually dosed 0.2-0.6mg per kg in dogs and the dose is split in two 12 hours apart. its given 30mins before food, so with pigs i wouldnt like to say. Mild cases of congestive heart failure have a lower dose?

Please ring your vet before giving any? I wouldnt want you to take my dosage as this is the dogs one.

Maybe someone else on here has had experience with it?

Sorry thats all the info i can give. I wouldnt want you to overdose your piggie, speaking to your vet is the best bet. Sorry.

x.

i wouldn't know what to suggest medicine wise but all i can say is ask your vet to call a piggy savvy vet if he isn't sure, i'd very happily give you my vets details if its any help and he is sooo helpful and i can't see it being a problem in asking for outside help.

Thanks for your replies - he hasn't actually given them to me yet but said he would if I could get him the dosage - I know someone on here has used it - Laura I think. He also wants me to sign a disclaimer as he hasn't any experience of it, although he knows it us used in pigs. He is a vet that Vedra knows and does see lots of piggies, in fact our local rodentologist also sees him and, although a little frustrating, I respect his honesty.
He said that enapril or fortekor wouldn't be suitable so this is the next step.
Xx

I followed the dosage suggested over on Guinea Lynx, but sadly lost my heart pig anyway - I started it too late for her.

Dosage was one quarter of a 1.25mg capsule, given twice daily. As it is in powder form (inside the capsule) I created a suspension:

1.25mg capsule
1.25ml water

= 1mg/ml suspension

I then gave 0.3ml (equal to approx. one quarter of a capsule) twice daily.

The dosage can be adjusted if necessary, I don't know to which degree either way it can be adjusted though. You will need to watch out for signs of low blood pressure e.g. increased lethargy when starting the meds, if this occurs then the pig either needs a lower dose or you should consider a different medication.

Did the vet say why Enacard or Fortekor would not be suitable? Which vet are you seeing?

Last edited:
Hi, I had one of my boys on vetmedin. He had a quarter of a 1.25mg tablet twice daily. I just crushed the quarter tablet up and mixed it in a little ribena (to try and disguise some of the meaty flavour) and syringed it down him. He took it quite well. As far as I know they have stopped making the 1.25mg in capsules and you can only get that strength in the meaty flavour tablets now.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Hiya Laura

Thanks for your reply. I see Ben at Colne Valley vets in Colchester. He didn't really entertain enalapril or fortekor when I mentioned them and said that the drug of choice was now Pimobendan although he hadn't used it before. He said the most important thing was to get the Frusemide right which I think I've done. He said he'd dispense it once I'd signed a disclaimer. Actually on writing this I feel a bit silly and think I might try to get her over to Vedra to check. Do you think that would be the next best move or should I give him the doseage and give them a try?

On a slightly different note - I read your posts on your Gwennie and know you lost her and I'm very sorry for your loss. Your love for her jumped off the posts, she was very lucky to have you x

Xx

Thank you, it was hard losing her and I do miss her so much, but thanks to her meds she did have an extra 7 months, which is a long time in the life of a piggie.

It's entirely your choice whether you give the Pimobendan a try or whether you travel to se Vedra for her opinion. Personally I would try the Pimobendan first.

Whatever you decide I really do hope it helps Amber, do keep us updated. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back