• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Please de-flea kittens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBeckyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know this is a pig forum but I've had a pretty upsetting day and just need to send out a warning.
I work at the Cats Protection and today someone brought in a three week
old kitten with it's mum. The kitten died in my arms all because it was anaemic due to a serious flea infestation. Another kitten had already died and the owner hadn't even contemplated flea treatment even though they were well aware there was a flea problem.
Please please flea all mums and kittens with appropriate vet prescribed treatment. What I had to deal with today was awful, I won't forget it for a long while.

So sorry to hear of that, it must have been awful. I have just read your post and treated my three straight away x

Thank you x I have sadly seen my fair share of deceased cats but knowing this could have been prevented just broke my heart

So sorry hunni.
(((hugs))) we used to foster for a cat charity and boy did we see some sites x

Yeah I've seen some things in my time
but this was something completely different- the owners didn't even
seem phased by it :(
thank you for your kind words x

People are like that hunni.
Doing things like this is heart breaking, i really do know xx

I'm so sorry to hear of your awful day :( And especially as the owners just didn't care grrrr

We use Frontline on our cat and (touch wood, fingers crossed) have never found anything on him. Frontline was the first thing we did to Oliver too (the cat who seems to have moved himself in rolleyes... it's a long story!)

I've just read your post, how upsetting it must have been for you. I get upset if I see something dead on the road, I love animals and I used to be a cat owner. I don't know how you and others like you do the job you do. Thank goodness though that you do,

Awww that is not nice at all :(
i was so lucky when i got my cat, the lady kept telling me how the mum and all the kittens would be flead and be checked up at the vet before going to their new homes x

can you use the treatment on kitens so young?its such a sad story and people really should deflea their pets more often

can you use the treatment on kitens so young?its such a sad story and people really should deflea their pets more often

Normally you deflea mum and it goes through her system to the babies.
Thats what we had to do when mum took in precious and her 5 little brats :))
I love them all really being as 2 of the brats are mine :))

x

Kittens should be over 4 weeks ideally but mum should be up to date on flea treatment before pregnancy and after if she's infested.
To be fair if the kittens are crawling with fleas if they aren't treated they will die from anaemia so the treatment is the lesser of two evils! It has to be vet prescribed of course.

The vet did deflea precious because she was dumped with 5 3 week old babies xx

The lady who dumped her has apparently been banned from keeping animals but has a house full.
Thank fully the CPL helped my mum spay and neuter her and babies as they were all in terrible condition.
There was 6 babies but i think you know what happened hun.
Mum was too late and it broke her heart, only now 2 years later has precious finally come out of her shell and her 5 babies are total brats lol.
Spike is a big fat boy who is clumsy, Mouse is very vocal, Freddie is a total pain in the butt, never gives my mum 5 minutes peace, peanut is a complete nightmare, keeps trying to escape and mistleto, likes to get in the pet food cupboard and the bin!
Our cats are in doors as we live on a main road.
Precious hates dogs and we have 2 shih-tzu's, they have their off days where precious goes for them claws out and all but other than that they pay no attention to each other.
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back