• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Please help - frozen guinea pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont get what that has anything to do with it Lucinda, no offence meant... but how does "keeping snakes is an unnatural practice as we are keeping them here where they are not native, in captivity, therefore its bad" come into "what does a snake have to eat"? ?
Also, surely keeping piggies who arent native to this country is an unnatural practice aswell then, and therefore bad?

Just a bit confused as to what you were trying to say with your post...

I understand what she meant. The species of snakes kept in captivity roam the wild. The species of guinea pig we have do not exist in the wild. They are to wild cavies what wolves are to dogs.

I don't agree with keeping reptiles anyway because of the high level of care that so many can't give them. But that's a whole 'nother discussion!

I'm with Abnoba, i'm also a little confused ;D

I'm sure you could also argue that a large number of snakes that are kept in the UK also wouldn't exist in the wild...e.g. all the various colour morphs you can get (such as with corn snakes and royal pythons).

The UK is not the originating country of the ancestors of guinea pigs, just as the UK is not the origin for the ancestors of a piebald royal python ;) I know that the wild royal python is the same species as the royal python in captivity - but then, so are wild and pet rabbits and rats. All of which (pythons included) have been bred in captivity to get different traits and colours.

It's fair enough if you don't consider snakes appropriate pets - but your reasoning for it being an unnatural practice confused me :D

Everybody has a right to keep whatever pet they want be it snakes or guineas. I would not keep them myself they creep me out a bit and i have to admit i would find it weird having to feed them animals hard. But for people who do keep snakes this is essential food for their pet. They could turn round and say keeping guineas is "unnatural practice" everybody is entitled to their own opinion but people should not be judged for their choice of pet, whatever its diet consists of. There is always going to be people who disagree with things but that does not necessarily make them wrong.

Amy.x.

daftscotslass said:
I don't agree with keeping reptiles anyway because of the high level of care that so many can't give them. But that's a whole 'nother discussion!
I am sorry but i disagree with your statement.I have kept reptiles for over 30 years and now keep various species of Chameleons all are captive bred and some of mine that are breeding are in decline in the wild.Does that mean i shouldnt keep them?I see it as i am keeping a species alive that could go extinct if people didnt have them in captivity.
There is reptile forums all over the internet that give great advice just like guinea pig forums give advice.How many people dont give guinea pigs the right care ? and how many end up in rescue?Does that mean we shouldnt keep piggies as pets?

O0

I think rabbits are far higher maintenance than reptiles... don't even get me started on dog keeping! Ridiculously high levels of care required. ;D

It is real and legal.

It is only illegal to sell them alive as food!

It is food for Large reptiles...like rats and mice. One of my local pet shops sells them!

Not nice but this is the real world...not everyone see's a guinea as a cute furry with great personality's.

These large reptiles also eat domestic cats and dogs if allowed to roam freely with these creatures especially your large constrictors!

Fortunately our terrapin is not into cats and GP's!

I think this whole subject would be better discussed on a reptile forum.

This is a forum for loving and appreciating guineas.

I find this subject so distressing, especially today, as I have learnt I may well have another pig with cancer.

Mods note

I have locked this topic as it seems to have gone off track and may be causing members distress.

Please PM me if there are any queries.

Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back