• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poor Dennis is a bit grunty!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Dennis and I have just got back from the vets.

Rachel had a listen to Dennis's breathing and said it "was not nice at all". She also said that Dennis could have issues going on other than a URI and without and X-ray it would be impossible to tell. She is very relunctant to give him an X-ray as his breathing is so very bad. I mentioned trying Zithromax. Rachel has never used Zithromax on a guinea pig before but she has with rats and rabbits when Baytril and Sulfatrim haven't worked. She said that she was willing to try it if I was and warned me of the side effects (which are the usual ones with antibiotics). She couldn't find anything in her pharmaceutical books about dosage so said that she would medicate as if for a rabbit as their physiology is "quite similar" at 1ml once a day rising to 1ml twice a day if no noticeable effect after 2 days. I'm picking up the Zithromax either tomorrow or Thursday as she has had to order it in. Rachel also warned me that I was to prepare for the worst case scenario in that Dennis might be reaching the end of the road. She did say that as he seems quite bright, alert and is still moving around he is not there yet. I am a realist and I know that if Dennis does reach that stage then I know what I have to do. I have come to think the same thing over the last few days that he is tired of fighting this nasty infection.

rp1993

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor Denis! Paws crossed that this new medication works, your piggies must have a season ticket to the vets at the moment!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Poor Denis! Paws crossed that this new medication works, your piggies must have a season ticket to the vets at the moment!
I have certainly paid alot into thier coffers since the start of Lockdown that's for sure! The only one who hasn't been seen there since March is Christian. The others have been regular visitors. Even Patsy who only arrived here in September has been several times!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Fingers crossed the new meds will get that nasty bug seen off and Dennis regains this cheeky self back soon x

Gem789

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Really hope the zithromax helps. Blackie was prescribed 0.6ml twice a day and she weighed around 1170 grams. I've had 2 other piggies on it in the past and it really helped with a stubborn infection x

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks @Gem789 Dennis weighed in this morning at 725g. I did ask about splitting the dose to 0.5ml twice a day but Rachel didn't think that would be appropriate.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I had both chinchillas and Rupert and Jess on Zithromax, worked great (apart from Pedro’s eye socket issues, but he had about every antibiotic going!). With Jess it gave her a bit of a funny tummy but lots of probiotics and lovely poo soup! 🤢
Really hope it’ll help lovely Dennis, massive hugs from all of us (especially Jasper, a big fuzzy kiss too!) x

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I really hope that the new medication works for Dennis. Sending you big hugs. :hug:

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Simon doses Zithromax at 1 ml per kilo body weight. Therefore a piggy weighing, for example, 800g would be prescribed 0.4 ml, twice daily, giving a total of 0.8 ml per day.

I have contacted C&R who suggested I get my vet to contact Simon which I have done.