Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Along with my pair of piggies, I'm also owned by an 8yr old chinchilla called Pedro.
Up to Feb he lived with his sister Poppy (he's neutered) but sadly I had to have her PTS due to the years of teeth trouble. Must admit he's loved having the cage and owner all to himself though as she was a bit of a bossy boots :) in the nicest way of course!

Last Monday he was out for playtime, runs around at 200mph and trashes the place in between his dust baths!
Put him back in the cage and noticed he had a line in the fur under his left eye, had obv banged it on something (guessing the bath but who knows?!). Throughout the week started going off his food and looking a bit miserable, got into my local vets Friday just to check he hadnt banged a tooth etc. Vet couldn't find anything but as the area was a bit swollen he's been on metacam and I've been having to syringe feed since Thursday.
Over the wknd has got much worse, his eye area really swollen and not touched any food by choice :(

IMG_4783.JPG

This morning I woke up to this :(
Stinks of infection. Looks horrendous, has come on so quickly.

IMG_4773.JPG

This was him yesterday. Thought the swelling looked a bit better but by the evening had come back at full pelt.

Went to vets and unfortunately a pretty poor prognosis on him keeping the eye, he's being bashed with antibiotics and eye drops and on extra strong pain relief. Going back in a couple of days. She thinks either an abscess behind his eye or full of blood from the probable injury. Pushing his eye outwards and can't close it properly. Gutted. He's amazing and my best friend, lives in my bedroom and hilarious to watch and play with. Gives me Eskimo kisses and likes to groom my face. Not much of a cuddler but that's chins!

So I'm trying to stay hopeful but have a feeling I'm going to be chinless soon :( going to fill him with as much food as possible for the next couple of days in case needs surgery, neither of us wanted to risk anaesthetic today because he's pretty weak from lack of food and pain :(

If he needs the eye out will be taking him to the brilliant Simon at Cat and Rabbit, sure he's missed us as not been since Poppy's last tooth appointment!

IMG_3721.JPG

His usual self :) yup, that's my head he's using as a perch :)

Everyone cross their fingers for us!
He's a strong little chap and I'm hoping can fight this nastiness and get back to his brilliant and gorgeous self :)

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh poor boy. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you and him.
I used to have a chinchilla, Smokey. They are fantastic little animals. The speeding about, bouncing off of everything and sand ending up miles away from where his bath was is something I miss.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
They're great beasties, I always wanted some when I was a kid but never allowed! So when a workmate asked if I could rehome them (they were babies of a 'male' pair from pets at home!) I jumped at the chance!

They can be hard work, make a lot of mess and noise! And not the cuddly pets you'd think from that cute look they have! But great personalities and incredibly clever, around the intelligence of a two year old human. That's why they cause so much trouble! :)

Thanks for kind words xx
Need to go and wake him for another feed but sleeping well and not twitching around in pain like he has been so feel a bit guilty! Will give him another 10mins :)

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks @Posyrose.

He's eaten a bit of food but not a happy chap, eye was completely full of gunk so cleaned it before I fed him. Then full again before finished his feed. Wondering if has poss abscess has already burst which is why so much discharge? Can smell the infection coming out of both ears.
Never dealt with this kind of thing before, my old pig Sheepy had an abscess on his side and was also blind after what we think was a 'hay poke' eye injury.
But never together inside of a poor head.

He only weighs 500g, this thing must be causing him such pain and stress.

Is for me and I'm only his mum!
Scary stuff :(

IMG_4787.JPG

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks, I really hope so. He was neutered at 7 months and that's it, only to the vets as a pal for his sister's dentals.
Typical it's a nasty accident instead. Hope he's going to get through it, even if with just one eye. Chins have pretty rubbish eyesight so wouldn't be missed!

I feel like I should clean his face as so wet and smelly. Later after next feed to not stress him out more than necessary. Obv chinchillas can't be bathed but as already wet and nasty, a good clean around area I don't think could cause too much harm. Gently of course.
They like to be clean but I'm not letting him have sand bath because think will cause far more harm than good.

Seven7

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Pedro the chinchilla.

I was in same situation with one of my hamsters Ben, and I have 6 hamsters and 2 guinea pigs. Ben's eye was super red, foggy, and bulging out. I took him to the exotic vet as soon as they gave me an appointment. The exotic vet told me that people rarely bring in small hamsters to be treated for such eye infection that most people let them lose their eye. I was not going to let something happen to one of my 8 pets, so I insisted Ben be treated so he can have his eye back to normal.
After a week of eye drops exotic vet gave us along with medicine by mouth, Ben's eye returned to normal in no time and he was happy once again. Ben is now around 3 years old, eating everything, and running around his wheels every night.
Here is my Ben the hamster:
IMG_0064 copy.jpg

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hope your little Pedro gets better soon x Simon is a great vet!

Wheekallweek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awpoor Pedro!
I hope he gets better soon!
Give him lots of love and fuss to make him feel better! :)

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks so much for replies.
Am hoping he'll recover well just like Ben the hamster, thanks @Seven7 :)

He actually seems more 'with it' this evening, the last few days he's not responded much to me talking (or singing!) to him like he normally does, just been a bit out of it really, even with me doing things in his cage. Seems to be a bit more aware of what's going on around him.
Was very happy to have a bit of watered down apple juice as his treat for being good for his eye clean :)

Guessing if he's had an abscess brewing for days must be stupidly painful, may be feeling nice to have it draining out and causing so much less pressure. Well not nice, nicer!

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Along with my pair of piggies, I'm also owned by an 8yr old chinchilla called Pedro.
Up to Feb he lived with his sister Poppy (he's neutered) but sadly I had to have her PTS due to the years of teeth trouble. Must admit he's loved having the cage and owner all to himself though as she was a bit of a bossy boots :) in the nicest way of course!

Last Monday he was out for playtime, runs around at 200mph and trashes the place in between his dust baths!
Put him back in the cage and noticed he had a line in the fur under his left eye, had obv banged it on something (guessing the bath but who knows?!). Throughout the week started going off his food and looking a bit miserable, got into my local vets Friday just to check he hadnt banged a tooth etc. Vet couldn't find anything but as the area was a bit swollen he's been on metacam and I've been having to syringe feed since Thursday.
Over the wknd has got much worse, his eye area really swollen and not touched any food by choice :(

View attachment 98748

This morning I woke up to this :(
Stinks of infection. Looks horrendous, has come on so quickly.

View attachment 98749

This was him yesterday. Thought the swelling looked a bit better but by the evening had come back at full pelt.

Went to vets and unfortunately a pretty poor prognosis on him keeping the eye, he's being bashed with antibiotics and eye drops and on extra strong pain relief. Going back in a couple of days. She thinks either an abscess behind his eye or full of blood from the probable injury. Pushing his eye outwards and can't close it properly. Gutted. He's amazing and my best friend, lives in my bedroom and hilarious to watch and play with. Gives me Eskimo kisses and likes to groom my face. Not much of a cuddler but that's chins!

So I'm trying to stay hopeful but have a feeling I'm going to be chinless soon :( going to fill him with as much food as possible for the next couple of days in case needs surgery, neither of us wanted to risk anaesthetic today because he's pretty weak from lack of food and pain :(

If he needs the eye out will be taking him to the brilliant Simon at Cat and Rabbit, sure he's missed us as not been since Poppy's last tooth appointment!

View attachment 98750

His usual self :) yup, that's my head he's using as a perch :)

Everyone cross their fingers for us!
He's a strong little chap and I'm hoping can fight this nastiness and get back to his brilliant and gorgeous self :)
I see someone in the cat and rabbit clinic with chinchillas, might have been you

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
The poor little guy. myself and my piggies send you lots vibes and best wishes. wish we could do more. x

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
:wub: good luck gorgeous Pedro (even with a poorly eye), hope you're soon feeling better & the antibiotics do their stuff.
Lots of healing vibes being sent your way & wishing you a full & speedy recovery :nod:
love the girls & I. :hug:xx