• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
I did think about it when he first had the surgery (as great with Sheepy my old piggy on his nasty one years ago) but got a bit worried he may get a taste for it! They can't really have much sugar.
Will ask Simon when I call though and see what he thinks. Got naughty 3yr old nephew causing havoc and lots of noise atm!

Thanks, he's eaten a little mashed pellets overnight and time for feed and flush soon, may have to tie the 3yr old up for that! :) xx
I’ve also had great success with the medical manuka honey. This was a huge abscess on my Guineas jaw which was stitched open to heal properly. I had to flush like you are but then I squeezed the honey in after. I was very impressed with it.

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Thanks @PigglePuggle, only had them a few hours yest but all day today and nephew has started being fussy the last couple of weeks, hungry but just wants choc and sweets! So hard work atm!
Hope your visit not too bad!

Vets have just phoned but only the receptionist, said Simon's leaving it with me about the meds, if I think he's bad then just to monitor him and see how he goes without them. And if wound plays up may need different ones. So didn't get a chance to ask about the Manuka honey but will have a read up about chins and see if others have used it. Can't see it being too much of a problem, if it helps healing I'm happy to give it a go with him.

Thanks for everyone's help again :) x

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Yes, it looks like lots of others have used Manuka honey with chins and been good with wound's/bites etc (they're good at biting/beating each other up and biting off toes etc!).
Although many like to wrap wounds so chins can't lick it off due to the sugar, I obviously can't do that! Well, could get him that pirate patch I've been joking about for a while! :)

But I'm thinking won't be too bad as can't get right in there with his tongue and as long as not a huge amount applied we should be ok. Will pick some up tomorrow (when got a couple of free hours after kids leave).

Good to hear it's worked so well with everyone's piggies. Was lucky that my Sheep's healed so quickly and well, Pedro's obv a completely different story! :)

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Ped still quiet, been giving him extra bits of food as not eating much.
Went to get him out a little while ago and freaked out, a big crust over the wound! Surely couldn't have changed that much in a couple of hours!

Got torch on my phone as couldn't see very well, nope, he's managed to wedge a tiny piece of poo in it! Grossness! Had to pick it out and clean it, obviously in there a while as a bit stuck with gunk!

First time that's happened, hopefully the last! Been in bed since last got him out so hadn't seen it! Not pleasant for either of us! :vom:

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Oh no, scary stuff. Yes not too nice! His poo about the size of a cooked grain of rice (soz, graphic details!), gets a little bigger but just the right size to wedge in at the moment!
Thank god not anything worse, scared me for a minute!

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Thanks @flintstones, he's eating a little so better than a couple of days ago.
Today he's moved around a bit more in the cage, not a lot but had stopped doing anything at all a couple of days ago.

Hope honey might help, not sure what else I can do. Can't just keep sticking him on new meds when make him so unwell, they're v sensitive beasties. Not fair to on him soon to keep forcing this on him, he's had a lot and already feel like he's given up a bit.

Just need it to heal up and I can leave him be, he'll be so much happier when can have a bath and be a chin again.

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Sorry to be on depressive mode again, hard to see him just sitting here all day looking and acting so sad. Thought we'd have got over this a long time ago, hate to torture him if going to be a bad ending anyway :(

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
He is a fighter so I hope he keeps on fighting.
He has had a major surgery and he probably can’t see well either, well only about half sight.
Hope he keeps on getting better.

Bill & Ted

Adult Guinea Pig
Aw, just caught up, sending hugs to you and healing kisses to little Pedro x
So sorry he hasn’t picked up since his dental, try keep positive you’ve come such a long way x

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Thanks a lot @Bill & Ted, really hoping we'll be through it all soon and can both have a rest! And he'll be his normal mega-happy self x Hope you had a good Xmas and got spoilt :)

Thanks so much @Merab's Slave, need one of those! x

Been told I'm bad all day as won't give in to nephew with his choc obsession! With lots of tantrums and tears!

We've finally got some peace now (thank god) and Pedro's just about to have his first Manuka honey experience! He ate more overnight last night and moved around more (more poo on hammocks and shelves rather than just his big bed like has been!) so pleased about that.

Thanks everyone :) will try and stay positive.

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
Hope your trip's not too bad and you have a good new year despite the company you don't want @Claire W!
Thanks.

Thank you @rhymer, and thanks a lot for the suggestion of the honey, hadn't even thought of it! But know it's great stuff and hopefully will do some good :)

He was very interested in the smell and we've had a couple of wipes and licks! But not too bad thankfully so hoping it'll stay in and work!