• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thank you x
Bathroom's good thanks @Merab's Slave, have only had a bath for 14yrs, now have a shower! All shiny and new :)

He's so good I've sort of been waiting for a bad day, not happened this week, he's just been happy and munching! Making a huge mess everywhere too so always good, jumping around rather than moping! :)

Thank god I cancelled the local vet and went to Simon to have a last 'try' even he didn't think Ped would get through his huge health troubles, he's definitely surprised us all :) x

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Lovely to catch-up with this thread and see that Pedro has improved so much. I hope that his return to health continues. :luv:

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Quick Pederoni update :)

Scoffing loads and sand and poo everywhere(!) from his crazy evening runs! But his front teeth looking very wonky with his tight muscles/jaw alignment etc so he's booked to see Simon on Monday. Yep only 4 weeks since last trip so really not good for a chin but gotta keep going when he's happy :)

And he's very pleased doesn't have to get noisy trains as my lovely friend's got the day off so she's taking us, such less stress for us both!
IMG_5292.JPG
Pedro selfies on a rubbish phone :)
IMG_5293.JPG
No ladies, check out the good side! ;)

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aw good going pirate Pedro, except for the wonky teeth! His eye socket looks to be healing nicely though since the last pics you posted? X

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yeah it's doing well at the moment thanks @PigglePuggle, that was this morning with the honey on so looks a bit more grotty! But tissue growing well inside the socket and his skin growing a bit. It's so delicate it's always getting damaged, mostly by him being mad!

And you can't really see the teeth are funny, his jaw's all to the side and just looks funny when you lift his top lips up.
He compensates his lack-of-eye with his good eye, as you can see with pic! His little head's all over the place sometimes when he's planning trouble!
Thanks @rhymer x

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aw, lovely boy, hope Simon can get his toothies sorted out. We are going to see Simon on Wednesday for a check up and a dental for Ted, he’s fine, eating well and rather fat but starting to juggle food in his mouth a bit which is a sign that funny tooth is getting out of control x

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww gorgeous Pedro, so thrilled to see him coming along with his recovery. I know it has been a long and hellish road so far but I really commend you for having the strength to go through it all with him. I never really though about Chins before this but little Ped has totally stolen my heart.

Good luck for the visit to Simon.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aah bless him, hope all good with Ted's visit too @Bill & Ted. Ped's doing well with his weight and eating as well but is chasing oats around and can't quite get those wonky ones to pick things up properly. Really hoping this wound heals soon (I can hope!) and it might help with him wanting to nibble, I've got half an apple tree waiting for him!

Thanks a lot @Pawz. Chins are great, so clever and funny, they are great if you've got the time and space for them. And probably a big vet fund in my experience! But they do live a very long time!
Pedro's always been the sweetest boy, even with all this nasty stuff I've done to him recently. He's lovely, blooming naughty but he's cute so gets away with it! :)

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
He's good thanks @Pawz :)
Vets tomorrow, his front teeth really need sorting, top left really long now and is noticeable with his wonky jaw, although he's still eating well bless him. Just struggling to pick up oats etc. Hopefully just the front and no issues with the back!

Wound looking really good, hopefully continues! You never know, might be closed up by the end of the year! ;)

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is taking a VERY long time to close but I guess thats normal? never dealt with a lost eye that wasn't a stitched up socket.

Poor baby, hopefully those teethies will be all sorted soon.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Was really hoping it'd be closed by now but think with the abscess/infection gunk it's just taking ages to fully heal @Pawz. Been a very long time now! Was hard to clean this morn/last night with my bad thumb, can't hold him very tight so kangaroo hopping like a nutter! Scary with a big needle in my hand!

Thanks @rhymer and @Claire W, hoping Simon will be pleased with him as eating so much better than our last trip.
It's really hard to do physio with him by myself, he's got such a tiny head and jaw so don't like to be too rough with him poor lad! Lots of massages and as much as I can though to help his wonky jaw and teeth! x

Seven7

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having with cleaning Pedro.
However it sounds as though his appetite is back, which will help to get him back to normal again.