• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

Oh no, so sorry @Claire W. Hope you've still got some fingers left, sure a bite from him must be blooming painful! Hope they'll come round soon xx

Apparently the previous owner just used to let them roam free so they didn’t get much handling. Not sure how you can let a degu roam free to be honest as they chew everything! Yes, his nips bloody hurt but it’s because he’s scared of hands and warning me off. It’s if I try and hold him like a gerbil that he bites. But he comes out the cage on his own and climbs all up my arms and shoulders so it is generally hands that he’s fearful of. I hope they come round too! xx

Apparently the previous owner just used to let them roam free so they didn’t get much handling. Not sure how you can let a degu roam free to be honest as they chew everything! Yes, his nips bloody hurt but it’s because he’s scared of hands and warning me off. It’s if I try and hold him like a gerbil that he bites. But he comes out the cage on his own and climbs all up my arms and shoulders so it is generally hands that he’s fearful of. I hope they come round too! xx
I've always let my chins roam free but in my hallway that doesn't have any leads/anything important! But wallpaper and skirting boards have taken a bit of a bashing!
It's good he's interested in you though and not just hiding, hopefully a good sign for the future :) xx

I've always let my chins roam free but in my hallway that doesn't have any leads/anything important! But wallpaper and skirting boards have taken a bit of a bashing!
It's good he's interested in you though and not just hiding, hopefully a good sign for the future :) xx

I guess though that chins are bigger than goos? I don’t know as by the sound of it, previous owner just used to let them roam the living room and she was worried about them chewing the cables and was wary of handling them so gave them up for adoption :( but it’s her loss as they’re now in their forever home. Hopefully it is a good sign that he’s interested in me. They’re always up at the bars whenever we go near them too xx

I guess though that chins are bigger than goos? I don’t know as by the sound of it, previous owner just used to let them roam the living room and she was worried about them chewing the cables and was wary of handling them so gave them up for adoption :( but it’s her loss as they’re now in their forever home. Hopefully it is a good sign that he’s interested in me. They’re always up at the bars whenever we go near them too xx
I definitely wouldn't want to try and catch a degu running free, chins are bigger but still a nightmare to get your hands on, degus look just as fast when I've seen them on a wheel and not much to them to try and catch if they're causing trouble!
Definitely her loss, sure they're loving being spoilt with you :) xx

I definitely wouldn't want to try and catch a degu running free, chins are bigger but still a nightmare to get your hands on, degus look just as fast when I've seen them on a wheel and not much to them to try and catch if they're causing trouble!
Definitely her loss, sure they're loving being spoilt with you :) xx

Yes, degus are very fast and smaller than an adult rat. I wouldn’t like to try and catch one either. When I first brought our old degu Marley home, he jumped out of the carrier and it took me well over an hour to catch him!

Thank you, I love them so much even though Jeff bites me 😅 xx

Well think I've worked out Ped's issue with food, I was all wrong for nearly 9 years about what food he enjoys as a chin, no hay, grass, wood or roots for him...
IMG_5502.JPG
IMG_5507.JPG
IMG_5504.JPG
It's actually chinese cuisine, spring rolls to be exact! (Ignore the cringe-worthy plate!) Turned into a bit of a wrestle!
IMG_5505.JPG
Strange boy! :D

Aw, just wondering how he doing, he obviously fancies a take-away x
I can't afford many of them with all his vet bills and have to stick to shop-bought stuff, think he better get a part time job to pay for his new habit!
Up at dawn, maybe something like a paper boy would suit him :D xx

Last edited:
Not seem this thread for a while. Lovely to see that Pedro seems to be improving all the time. You have done such s great job of caring for him. 😀❤️

Thanks so much @YvonneBlue, he's doing so well atm :) just need to sort those blooming teeth and that wonky jaw! I've come to terms with his non-eye probably not healing for a very long time! :nod: xx

And last night another change to his diet, cat food! Was throwing some around for the cats to chase and munch earlier and they must have missed that bit, chicken! Dont know what's going on with him and his cravings! :D

With Ped’s rather strange tastes this week I’ve been giving him a bit of Pro-C in the evening (in a bit of water and syringed) in case he’s maybe missing something from his mushy diet.

And over the last 8 hours he’s now munched 4 small dried dandelions and even tried to eat some dried grass! Was a bit of a struggle for him so not sure how much he managed but that’s the first attempt in months with hay etc :D I’ve oven dried it all today as pigs always love it and he used to, think the smell was too irresistible!
So chuffed with him, and a bit more of a normal diet than dry cat food! :tu:

With Ped’s rather strange tastes this week I’ve been giving him a bit of Pro-C in the evening (in a bit of water and syringed) in case he’s maybe missing something from his mushy diet.

And over the last 8 hours he’s now munched 4 small dried dandelions and even tried to eat some dried grass! Was a bit of a struggle for him so not sure how much he managed but that’s the first attempt in months with hay etc :D I’ve oven dried it all today as pigs always love it and he used to, think the smell was too irresistible!
So chuffed with him, and a bit more of a normal diet than dry cat food! :tu:

That’s fantastic news’ well done Ped :)

Ped says thanks lovely ladies :) xx and me xx
Drying more today (because I’m mad) so munching another big dried dandelion fresh from the oven right now! (Chins need more calcium so gonna give him as much as he’ll munch, missed out on everything since end of October!)
Won’t overdo it though, just amazed he’s suddenly giving dried greenery a go after all this time (can’t even count the times he’s made me cry since all this, half good half bad!)
Go wonky jaw, crazy boy! :love:

Last edited:
We all do mad things for are little furbabies. When they pick up and get back to bring more like their old selves, it crazy how excited we get!
you go Pedro 💞

Well think I've worked out Ped's issue with food, I was all wrong for nearly 9 years about what food he enjoys as a chin, no hay, grass, wood or roots for him...
View attachment 110973
View attachment 110976
View attachment 110974
It's actually chinese cuisine, spring rolls to be exact! (Ignore the cringe-worthy plate!) Turned into a bit of a wrestle!
View attachment 110975
Strange boy! :D
Who doesn’t love a good spring roll? Can’t fault your taste you beautiful fur baby.

Back