• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

Aww what a relief :tu:

Shame you took longer to get back than you planned :(
I wondered how he got on.

Healing vibes for a full & speedy recovery little man.
Love the girls & I x

He's slept pretty soundly since we've been back, need to give him his meds soon but not going to bother him too much. Think I'll stuff his cage with lots of nice hay and pellets and hopefully he'll have a good nibble in the night.
So nice not to have to torture him with eye cleans!

Wonderful, wonderful news.
I do adore chinchillas and had a couple of rescue boys many years ago, so seeing these photos of gorgeous Pedro has taken me back.

It is good he is doing welll, but don't forget to look after yourself a bit too - never underestimate how tough this is on us doting owners :hug:

They're such great animals and so funny. Love that he watches TV and gets excited when I sing to him and strange things like that!
His sis was v different, quite reserved, he's bonkers (well normally)! But got the sweetest nature. He's great with my 3yr old autistic nephew, the pigs find him a bit too much but Ped loves his squeals and laughter!

@Swissgreys how long did you have your chins? Boys or girls? sorry being nosy! :)

And yes think I need to catch up on rest now like him! Been cleaning eyes and feeding him so much I've not been getting a lot!
But def need a good few hours on the floor with my pigs tomorrow as they've not been getting me as much as usual recently!

They're such great animals and so funny. Love that he watches TV and gets excited when I sing to him and strange things like that!
His sis was v different, quite reserved, he's bonkers (well normally)! But got the sweetest nature. He's great with my 3yr old autistic nephew, the pigs find him a bit too much but Ped loves his squeals and laughter!

@Swissgreys how long did you have your chins? Boys or girls? sorry being nosy! :)

And yes think I need to catch up on rest now like him! Been cleaning eyes and feeding him so much I've not been getting a lot!
But def need a good few hours on the floor with my pigs tomorrow as they've not been getting me as much as usual recently!

I had my boys for around 5 years.
Sadly they came from a breeder/hoarder situation, so had a lot of health problems - regular dentals, etc. plus the rescue were never able to give an accurate age on them, but I don't think they were that old when I adopted them.

They were my first ever 'fluffy pets' as an adult.
At the time we lived in a teeny, tiny flat in London, so as soon as DH or I got in from work, we would open their cage and give them free run of the flat (did I mention it was tiny).
One of them used to gallop off and get up to all sorts of mischief (Tobermory) and the other one (Orinico) would jump up onto the coffee table and stare pointedly at the tv - he loved television, and when it was on he would sit and watch it for hours.
Such fantastic pets with so much personality and character.
One day I will have chinchillas again.

Aah they sound great :) think boys are a bit more outgoing from what I know.
Mine were inbred from a pet shop misexing. People can just get so much money from them they don't care!

So many get given up after a couple of years when people realise they are hard work, I tell people they're not the best pets if you haven't got the time, pigs are much better as chins have got such specific needs. And can live so long!
Sure you could adopt more in the future! :) they're great :)

Been watching this thread and I am so,pleased you are over the worst. What a wonderful chin Pedro is and such a fantastic and dedicated owner! Sending many healing vibes your way! Xx

Thanks a lot :)

He's still pretty drowsy this morn, vets phoned to check on him and I mentioned it. So he's had metacam and a syringe feed and hopefully will perk up a bit. His poo's a bit soft so thinking meds yest etc. The wound looking good though.

Think the long day, eye and teeth file were a bit much for him bless him. Will carry on syringe feeding today and hopefully he'll be feeling better v soon.

I'm quite worried as he still hasn't really perked up today. He's pretty much just slept.
Got him out for a feed and metacam a little while ago and he was on my shoulder giving me a groom but the minute he's back in cage he goes to sleep :( he's normally bouncing around the cage at this time of night (when well) but very quiet.
Think I was expecting him to feel much better when that horrible eye was removed but am worrying could be the Zithromax making him feel cack. Poppy was the same when she had it.

Don't know if I'm overthinking it. My pigs have always coped well with GA but chins don't handle lots of meds very well. Grr, come on Ped, stop worrying your mother!
Am tempted to get him out for a bit to wake him up and check he's moving around ok. Think might have to or I won't be sleeping tonight!

I'm quite worried as he still hasn't really perked up today. He's pretty much just slept.
Got him out for a feed and metacam a little while ago and he was on my shoulder giving me a groom but the minute he's back in cage he goes to sleep :( he's normally bouncing around the cage at this time of night (when well) but very quiet.
Think I was expecting him to feel much better when that horrible eye was removed but am worrying could be the Zithromax making him feel cack. Poppy was the same when she had it.

Don't know if I'm overthinking it. My pigs have always coped well with GA but chins don't handle lots of meds very well. Grr, come on Ped, stop worrying your mother!
Am tempted to get him out for a bit to wake him up and check he's moving around ok. Think might have to or I won't be sleeping tonight!
are chinchillas grazers the same as guinea pigs?

Yes they are. He sleeps pretty much all day but he'd normally get up and have food at 11am, 2 and 6 and then he'll be awake most of the evening watching TV and playing/chewing toys. He's just not woken up other than when I've disturbed him.
Got him out now and he's running around acting fine, well a bit slower than normal but not acting particularly unwell. IMG_4842.JPG

May be me being paranoid, just thought he'd be nibbling a bit more food etc tonight. And be a bit more active than he has the last couple of weeks :( at least leave his bed anyway!

Nope, straight back to bed after acting normal when out. Like he did with the bad eye. Grr. Don't know what to do :( oh Pedro

Oh missed that, they'll graze all night in between playing and trashing the cage. Lots of hay munching like piggies.

Back