• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

Chins are completely different, in captivity anyway, wouldn't even try to be honest. Not a good plan, for stress and his health. They're mean animals, would kill each other if don't like the other! So not risking it!
That's why he's had just Pedro and mummy time since his sister is not with us. Took 6 months to get them back together, they are not like pigs!
Ok , bit like gerbils it sounds

Simon was the one that said we'll give him a week if he's not eating, I'll be ringing on weds and letting him know so it's a joint decision I suppose
So basicly if anything else is happening inside his body thats being missed, you cant risk an xray or scan. Hes too frail i would have thought

Yep, all this is because of nasty stuff that he's put up with since oct last. It exploded out of his face and it's still hanging around! Poor chinchin x

Oh, my heart goes out to you @alpacasqueak its just such an awful decision you have to make. Ultimately only you and Simon can make that decision, but whatever you decide we are here to support you x

Thanks @Claire W, shouldn't even ask others but it's so hard to debate this stuff by yourself in your strange brain!
I'm so torn. Do I give him more time but I kind of know how it's going to go.

He's such a beautiful boy and hard to think of that horrible stuff. But he's not happy. Really not :( he's not a chin anymore :( think I already know. Just been hoping for the best. He's had a couple of times jumping out of bed but put his wheel in cage last night and he's not been near it.

I've tried but he's not happy. Can't quite believe it. He's been with me since oct 2010. His sister left us Feb last year and thought I'd have another ten years :(

I really hope he perks up tonight but that's just me being a silly hopeful bugger x

Do you trust Simon? When I have been in this position with guinea pigs, I have always asked my vet what she would do in my position. She has always been frank and honest with me and I have trusted her input. On occasions she has told me it isn't time and others, it sadly has been :( I think you will know in your heart what decision you should make but I advise you have an honest chat with Simon as you never know, he could have more ideas xx

Sorry had a seizure. God my brain doesn't give me a rest much :(

I do but I don't. If he was a pig I wouldn't doubt anything he says but I get told every time I go that they don't see chins very often by the staff. I dont know what to think then. I suppose will just have to try and speak to him weds and go by my own observations. Ped's so hard to read with all his mixed signals.

He was just waiting for me when I got up anyway, just gonna do his flush. He's eaten stuff while I've been half dead.
So it's hard to know what to do :(

God bloody chins, who'd have them! Nutters like me! (No offence to chin owners, they're just hard work!)

Think if I'd seen more of an improvement behaviour wise I wouldn't even be doubting stuff, he's just so hard.
To see him running round in the morning and evening and enjoying his sand bath you'd think he was fine. Acts fine at the vets. Then gets home and just sits there. And now after his flush just sitting there :(

I'm going to have to feed him and go to sleep soon as feel like I've been smacked in the head with a hammer so will be a very early morning here. Thanks for your help as always @Claire W xx

Had another seizure in the night so feel like cack.
Sorry please ignore my seizure stress talk, I do trust Simon.
Think I'm just having flashbacks to his sister this time last year when had to make the decision and I felt so bad that I'd put her through too much. Don't want to do the same with him after all this he's put up with.

Was waiting for me for breakfast now he's under the bed! Managed to squeeze down the back and my brain was too slow to grab him.
I'll be on here all day anyway in case I have a fit so he can do a bit of dusting with his tail under there as can't see him moving v soon :)

Thanks @Claire W, will be as much as I can today, had a busy week so has caught up with me again!
Alarms set for Ped and I'm going to try not to stress about him til tomorrow, he's eaten twice himself so at least don't have to do massive feeds and can return to my comfy horizontal position on the bed with Rosie the cat looking after me! xx

Thought an update in order, full of cold which is prob why seizures caused trouble but thought I'd give everyone a rest from my stress-filled posts for a couple of days!

Yep he's still here with me causing mischief :) IMG_5151.JPG
It's like someone pressed a magic button tues pm, he was up and down in the cage, polished off two bowls of mashed pellets and acting like a crazy kit again jumping on me on the bed!

Wednesday I went to see my mum after some of her nasty treatment and chopped some big branches from one of her apple trees, his fave one, so instead of breaking it up and preparing it (baking it etc) like normal I left them. He blooming loves them, was even nibbling at them and was all over them again last night!

He's eating really well (mashed & soaked Burgess and SS pellets) so I've only given him small feeds am and pm and he's doing well. Phoned and left a msg for Simon to let him know earlier.

Yep I'm bloody chuffed! But am just gonna take each day as it comes, know things change so quickly with him, hoping when his non-eye's healed things will improve! Might heal up soon, only been 12 weeks! :) x

Thought an update in order, full of cold which is prob why seizures caused trouble but thought I'd give everyone a rest from my stress-filled posts for a couple of days!

Yep he's still here with me causing mischief :)View attachment 105849
It's like someone pressed a magic button tues pm, he was up and down in the cage, polished off two bowls of mashed pellets and acting like a crazy kit again jumping on me on the bed!

Wednesday I went to see my mum after some of her nasty treatment and chopped some big branches from one of her apple trees, his fave one, so instead of breaking it up and preparing it (baking it etc) like normal I left them. He blooming loves them, was even nibbling at them and was all over them again last night!

He's eating really well (mashed & soaked Burgess and SS pellets) so I've only given him small feeds am and pm and he's doing well. Phoned and left a msg for Simon to let him know earlier.

Yep I'm bloody chuffed! But am just gonna take each day as it comes, know things change so quickly with him, hoping when his non-eye's healed things will improve! Might heal up soon, only been 12 weeks! :) x
He must have seen your posts🤔. Glad hes doing well

Thank you both :) x
Yep think he's sick of my tears and moaning so thought he'd shut me up and just get on with it!

With Simon saying his teeth really aren't bad, no spurs etc, it's more his muscles and nerves that are causing probs and made worse with the lack of him munching we've got to carry on and hope some change will happen when that bloody wound's all healed up! I'll keep going as long as he wants too :) My little gorgeous nutter :)

Thanks @PigglePuggle, yep I'm rubbish at looking after myself when any of my babies are poorly! Think I'd learn at 32! But his recovery WAY longer than anyone else I've cared for! Should start munching his Manuka honey :) smells gorgeous!
Well I've tasted it and it's lovely, was off his face when he jumped on me though so prob all sorts mixed in too! :vom: x

Just a little mention though (even though Ped post) as they've got me through so much the last few months, giving up lots of floor time and snuggles with me being shattered and an annoying epileptic momma!
I'm sure they don't mind as well fed with me at home a lot! But still, they're amazing :) Just had lots of face licky love from Jess so had to let her know she's loved :)
IMG_4351.JPG
Yep 5 and a half, deaf and got one nipple :)
IMG_3208.JPG
And her six and a half year old gentleman, bladder piggy Poopy Bear :) well Rupert but that's his posh name! :)
IMG_3021.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG
My lovely bubs, deserve some credit for putting up with stress recently! xx

Back