• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

That's amazing how well his face has healed, I will show Tallulah his pics so she can see how its done! You're a real inspiration @alpacasqueak I think if I hadnt seen the miracles you've worked with Pedro I wouldnt have held out much hope for my bat-hippo girl...

Thanks @YvonneBlue, that really means a lot :hug:xx

And you too @PigglePuggle xx it's so crazy to see the pics one after another and how much he really has changed. Hopefully Tallulah won't be as much trouble and will heal faster! She's caused enough mayhem, should probably be a crazy (hairless) chin really! :)

Well what a surprise, a few steps forward and doing well last week. So a couple back today to make up for it! :hb:
He's managed to rip the wound overnight :( split the edges and its big again :(
IMG_5464.JPG
Halfway through flush, hard to get a decent pic so close up but it's both sides, so has split the skin, opened it up and looking much bigger again. A bit bleedy.
Oh why do I get excited when I should know, it's him and this blinking wound, never going to heal!
IMG_5467.JPG
It's quite sore and I got a good telling off, think honey all day today instead of just am and pm. Oh Pedro (again!)

Oh naughty Pedro!
Hope you are not doing this to just get more attention or do you just like the taste of the honey. Silly little chin.
We will all still love you when you are all healed up.
Come on Pedro give mummy a break.
Sending huge hugs.xx

Thanks @rhymer. Not sure how he's done it, guessing rubbing the honey off, we were up til 1am and was fine but at 7.30 I could see it looked bleedy when I got up. And obviously very stingy with the saltwater so shrieking away as I cleaned (and will all day now I'm guessing!).
I love you Ped but you're a pain in my bottom! xx

Oh no, naughty Pedro. Just when everything was going so well.
I do hope this is just a small setback and the eye continues to heal.
Sending big hugs. :hug:

Thanks a lot @YvonneBlue.
Hoping so, back to 4 or 5 flushes a day again and hopefully will help :(
His skin's just so thin and delicate. And 9 in a few months so not the youngest skin to repair either! Xx

Thanks @Merab's Slave :) Yup but he's Pedro! :doh:
His current favourite song is 'I Fought the Law' by The Clash!
So as it's now a five month long thread, think he likes to show his gruesome pics and let me know that he won! (If anyone's a clash fan and know I'm not just rambling!)

Will be visiting Simon soon for his teeth so was so excited to show him how great the wound looked, nope!

Oh dear, poor Pedro and poor you! Perhaps he scratched at it because the healing wound was itching? I know I've often found scabs over healing wounds horribly itchy! I hope he heals up again quickly x

Yeah think that's been the issue with the whole healing process tbh @Qualcast&Flymo! He basically just can't leave it alone! I'm the same with picking at stuff but come on Ped, you know you don't want all this daily grief! :doh:

I just rang a few chin rescues, (well there was the no1 that I trusted completely but no longer run unfortunately, lots of work for them for years) so tried a couple of other smaller ones but no answer. Chin rescues don't really exist in the uk sadly.

Was going to ask if they'd seen anything similar, doubt it because no one goes through this much with them normally.
I'm starting to think with the shape of his head, the way the skin is and just being a chin, may mean this is never going to heal.
Lovely forum lady has already told me of a lifelong-stay pig who never healed after eye removal/eye socket cleaning etc. Think Ped may be the same but the chin version!

If Pedro is going to be a pirate chin I don’t suppose an eye patch would work would it?
I can just picture him looking rakish with a black eye patch !

I was also wondering about an eye patch... or maybe some local anaesthetic spray from the vet to stop him messing with the wound? Our vet had a little bottle of local anaesthetic spray he used on Tallulah before her major wound cleans so she would leave it alone for a few hours... not sure if they'd prescribe it for home but its worth asking seeing as Pirate Ped is a special case and you've done so much of the nursing care at home!

I'm thinking of asking Simon when we see him in the next couple of weeks @PigglePuggle but the skin's still so tight on that side don't know if it might make it worse with the 'ripping'. It's prob why it keeps doing it now, along with him being a pain!

An eye patch would be brilliant but he really wouldn't leave it alone, well I'm guessing not if he can't even leave the wound that must be sore! Stubborn little man!
I'll have to see if I can get some spray as definitely would be helpful with him. Another question for Simon! :)

I've purposely not picked off the bits around the wound in the hope the skin might attach together again, looking smaller as all stuck together so may leave it like that tonight and just give it a good clean in the morning.
Might help?! Or not, I'm going to try anything as quite deflated again today after all the progress we'd had! :(

So sorry, it’s famous last words! I have been jinxed like this. He was doing so well, the naughty little pirate Pedro x Hope it looks better tomorrow, all fingers crossed for him x

Thanks so much, yup definitely cursed it all with my excitement the last couple of weeks! We know Ped's gotta do things differently, in his special naughty way! xx

Back