• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Poor Pedro the Chinchilla :(

I'm thinking of asking Simon when we see him in the next couple of weeks @PigglePuggle but the skin's still so tight on that side don't know if it might make it worse with the 'ripping'. It's prob why it keeps doing it now, along with him being a pain!

An eye patch would be brilliant but he really wouldn't leave it alone, well I'm guessing not if he can't even leave the wound that must be sore! Stubborn little man!
I'll have to see if I can get some spray as definitely would be helpful with him. Another question for Simon! :)

I've purposely not picked off the bits around the wound in the hope the skin might attach together again, looking smaller as all stuck together so may leave it like that tonight and just give it a good clean in the morning.
Might help?! Or not, I'm going to try anything as quite deflated again today after all the progress we'd had! :(
Best of luck and healing vibes and hugs and wheeks! This has gone on a fair while though so maybe its time to ask for more meds like the local anaesthetic spray, or see if there's a vet closer who might review and spray anaesthetic then do a proper wound clean and check while its numb more regularly? We are super lucky our vet is round the corner, I think its definitely helped with Tallulah on days when I'vw been like... should I pick that scab off and clean under it? Etc.
But your vet sounds like the best so it would be a difficult decision... and an eye removal is much more complicated than an abscess... and there's the "is there enough skin" issue with stitching... we were told with Tallulah's neck hole to put it off as long as possible as there was exactly 1 more op's worth of skin left then there wouldnt be enough left to try again... poor pirate boy and poor you! Really hope things start getting better again because his wound looked great before today x

Thanks @PigglePuggle x yes I definitely think I need a bit of something else to help with the healing now, for my own sanity too!

Think with it being an abscess (possible tooth root according to vets but hard to tell, never had issues with them before though) and eye removal, then the infected eyelids/skin having to be chopped off it's just caused so many more problems. Simon the vet said months ago that it can take a long time to heal, just didn't expect it to be this long!
There's not even a huge amount of pus or anything, just seems to take ages for new tissue/skin growth. And then he wrecks it!

Pleased he's himself though, do think he probably had a bit of a brain issue with all the pressure of the abscess in his tiny head as seemed so out of it and not him for months. So at least one bit of him has recovered! Just the rest now please Ped :nod: x

Last edited:
It's hard to see but on the first pic you can just make out where he ripped it at the top, honey monster face all day definitely helped and no blood today :)

How was your gorgeous boy this morning? Hope you're ok xx

Just caught up with your thread, what a roller coaster of a time you have been having. Sending your and Pedro hugs, I hope he heals up very soon. Xx

Thanks so much, he's looking much better today but still quite sore bless him. Think if his teeth were better I'd have had a few bites since yest, he's tried! xx

Looking better today! Maybe him opening up his wound might stimulate the healing process? It worked for Tallulah hippo anyway, she ripped a huge hole and then all the fresh wound edges started contracting much better than the older manky bits... sending pirate boy healing honey hugs x

Thanks a lot @PigglePuggle, that'd be good! I was expecting it to look much worse but it's obv improved in 24hrs so fingers crossed! Something needs to stimulate the blooming thing! The speed of Tallulah's healing's been amazing :)
He's just had a munch and then a good chew on some cuttlefish bone, think he's sharping those teeth for his next flush! :D x

Mini Pirate update :)

We had vets on Friday and Simon's really pleased with him, had a little file at the back on his bad side and front teeth were trimmed right down as all over the place (well left top and bottom right that aren't aligned). Said he's amazed how well he's doing with the state of the front teeth! Very happy he's now eating 'harder' things like pea flakes, broken up, as only had mush for pretty much 5months!

He's pleased with his non-eye, it's best it's still open as he's still producing a bit of pus and could cause another abscess if it's closed. So still flushing and using honey but it looks healthy. We're back in 6weeks.

We're getting there! Slowly! But he's liking his food so much more recently I'm hoping his weight might improve a bit.
IMG_5457.JPG
Will try for some decent pics later but he really doesn't sit still anymore so it's hard! :)

Glad your pirate hero is still doing well! That eye socket sounds a right bugger but if he's eating better and lively and your awesome vet is pleased with his progress that's all very good news. Hugs and healing wheeks and tonnes of manuka honey from me and piggy daddy and all our piggies! X

So delighted Pedro is still doing well. You have done a fantastic job looking after him. Please keep us updated. You definitely have to have a celebration once that wound is healed, good thing you can keep flushing so an infection is not possible.

Pedro is such a cutie!

You must be feeling so worried right now. Me and the piggies are sending you our best wishes for a good outcome and sending big hugs too x

Thanks @flintstones, yep think will have to be a bigger party than originally planned! :) Nearly six months of pus now!

Thanks @Claire W xx hope your naughty, bouncy boys are doing well too :) x

Thanks @munchmonster, spent months worrying so trying to focus on the good things now!
Well until he rips and wrecks his face like he seems to like doing every now and again! :doh:

Thank you @alpacasqueak The boys are doing great although I’ve discovered that Jeff doesn’t like being handled much and gives a nasty nip which draws blood if I hold him the wrong way but he loves coming out and running around all over me. Bobby doesn’t bite but apparently they wasn’t handled much in their previous home :( xx

Oh no, so sorry @Claire W. Hope you've still got some fingers left, sure a bite from him must be blooming painful! Hope they'll come round soon xx

Back