• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly eye! - See pic

PiggyPoo

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey,

Does anybody know what could be wrong with my guinea pigs eye? She’s 4 years old. There’s a white ring. The other eye is perfectly healthy.

Thanks xx

Attachments

• B7CD6F75-0082-41FF-96C8-B94984A8E690.jpeg
    B7CD6F75-0082-41FF-96C8-B94984A8E690.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
Hi, I would have her checked by a vet as soon as possible as eyes are classed as an emergency. It could be a hay poke in which antibiotic eye drops will be needed or it could be a cataract but only a vet will be able to tell you

:agr: Please do have your piggy seen by a vet for diagnosis. I hope she is ok

Hey,

Does anybody know what could be wrong with my guinea pigs eye? She’s 4 years old. There’s a white ring. The other eye is perfectly healthy.

Thanks xx

Hi

A jagged white ring around the eye ball is called osseous metaplasia, i.e. replacement by bone tissue. It is not all that uncommon as guinea pigs age. There is nothing you can do. It is not painful but constricts the field of sight a little.
Any white inside (cataract/nuclear sclerosis) or on top of the eye should be vet checked to make sure that it is not from an ulacerating eye injury or an infection inside the eye.
Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

You can find out more about the more common problems with older piggies and their care adjustments in this link here since your girl is slowly coming up to older age: Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A helpful and supportive information collection

Humans get something called arcus senilis which is a lipid ring on the cornea which looks like your picture. It does tend to be both eyes though. I’m not sure if piggies can’t get this but in humans it doesn’t cause sight loss. Let us know how you get on x

Humans get something called arcus senilis which is a lipid ring on the cornea which looks like your picture. It does tend to be both eyes though. I’m not sure if piggies can’t get this but in humans it doesn’t cause sight loss. Let us know how you get on x
*can get this

Back