• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly piggy, broken or sprained leg. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

incubus

Reaction score
I've got 2 guinea pigs i rescued so I'm not entirely sure of their age but they are definately adults - I would say 3-4 years old. One of my guineas loves to get on my shoulder and normally she can stay there for ages but this time when she sat on my shoulder this evening she fell off and fell about 5 feet to the floor. I picked her straight up and she bit me which is incredibly unusual so I should have known something was up then. She was squeaking very loudly and I put her on the floor and she went to walk off but she was dragging her back legs behind her and pulling herself along. I've checked on her every 15 minutes since and her progress is getting better. I've found she can walk on her back left leg, thats fine. But her back right leg I thought was originally broken, I felt for breaks but I'm no vet so couldnt tell for sure. I didnt feel anythig unusual but it is swollen at the hip a bit.
I've separated her from the other guinea pig and gave her some brocolli just to check she was eating. She was holding it in her mouth but didnt eat it, when I left the room and came back a bit later she had eaten it. Ive found aswel that she can bend the back leg but its still dragging a bit so I dont think its broken. I've made a vets appointment for first thing in the morning but I'm so scared, I dont have calpol or anything to help ease the pain.
She doesnt seem to be in any pain but I was told by a vet once that guinea pigs hide any sickness so they dont appear vulnerable to any predators so I'm not she if she is forcing her leg to bend or if she really isnt in a lot of pain. If anyone can give me any advice I would be eternally grateful!

:laluot_10:

sophiew (EAGPR)

Reaction score
First of all, don't beat yourself up ;) It's so easy to drop a piggy sometimes, you must feel terrible. hugs.

Now, for the piggy. It's a good sign that she's eating. Quite often if a piggy suffers a trauma like this, they go into shock. Keep her warm and quiet and keep monitoring her as you have been.

The leg - could be sore, if she's wrenched it, or broken / fractured. If she can move around then that's good. It might also be nerve damage i.e spine rather than the actual leg - which would be more serious. Can you get to an all night chemist for some Calpol or similar, for the pain?

I would keep her still and quiet for tonight - is she an indoor or outdoor piggy? Perhaps restrict her movement by putting her in a small box or carrier for now. And get her to the vets first thing

Quite often when they're dropped, they can hurt their teeth - break them or lose them - have you looked in her mouth? How did she land?

Sophie
x

arnettobrien

Reaction score
are pig broke his leg

about 6 months ago are male pig Horatio broke his back leg whilst he was in his run in the garden. we think he did it by climbing on his wooden house and it falling and trapping his leg. (We threw the wooden house in the bin after this happened). we took him to the vet and the vet after looking at him put him on the floor to see if he could move about. he could move about on three. horatio was also eating and drinking as normal.the vet gave us some pain killer for him and she said to keep him in a confined space for a few weeks(can't remember exactly how long).
we kept him in a plastic pet carrier, with the water bottle on the door at the front, small food bowl and we also put a cardboard box at the back for first week to restrict his movement even further. he seemed quite happy eating food and hay.
now he is fine and can run around fine. his leg has set at a strange angle so sticks out a bit.
hopes this helps and hope your pig will be ok

incubus

Reaction score
poorly ginny

she has been an indoor piggy since i rescued her, i couldnt face putting her outside even though I know most guinea pigs are put outside!

Thank you for the reassurance though. I've checked on her again, her leg isnt much better but very swollen at the hip. There isnt anywhere I can get anything at this time. Do you think if I broke down some paracetamol or something that would be beneficial?

sophiew (EAGPR)

Reaction score
she has been an indoor piggy since i rescued her, i couldnt face putting her outside even though I know most guinea pigs are put outside!

Thank you for the reassurance though. I've checked on her again, her leg isnt much better but very swollen at the hip. There isnt anywhere I can get anything at this time. Do you think if I broke down some paracetamol or something that would be beneficial?
No, not ok for guineas - wouldn't risk it!

Hope she's ok

Sophie
x

incubus

Reaction score
Update

Just wanted to update you;

Took Millie to the vets this morning, vet said that she couldnt feel a fracture or break but without an xray she couldnt tell for sure. From what I told her she said that she is doing well already since last night. She is eating, pooping and weeing (though its a bit cloudy, this is likely due to trauma) and still has her character so these are all good signs. She said that most things like this will heal with time and she gave me some Metacam painkiller which I need to give her everyday and I take her back for a checkup on Friday unless she gets worse in the meantime.

Just incase anyone views this in the future if they have a similar problem I just want to add that my vet charged me £20 for the consultation and £5 for the medication including a syringe. Because I am just a student I can't afford much so this was the cheapest route anyway but the vet suggested this one primarily anyway. If she doesnt get any better then she will need x-rays which will cost £100. Fingers crossed she wont be in any more pain or stress and will heal nicely.

Needless to say I wont be letter Millie sit on my shoulders without holding on to her for dear life again!

THANK YOU for you words of reassurance and advice. I may have only got 2 hours sleep last night from the worry but without you I probably wouldn't have had any! :rose

lauralucy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
one of my girls was dragging her back legs a couple of months aggo, we took her to the vet (just got in before they closed) they gave her a painkiller injection, we took her home seperated from the other piggies for 2 days then put her in with them but seperated for another 10 days and then she went back with them she was eating and drinking and is now completley back to normal, i think sometimes they just scare themselves.

hope thats re-assuring. :)

Sgt Pepper

Reaction score
Keeping fingers crossed that piggie is feeling better soon and also that you don't have the stress of perhaps more vets bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.