• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly piggy

Plopbop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. One of my four piggies has been lethargic for a few days. He's gradually gone off his food and water, and today his breathing has become laboured and his poo soft. He's been to the vet, who has prescribed antibiotics for his breathing and fibreplex for his poo. He is fine with taking the antibiotics (I was advised to mix it with diluted ribena), but he's not keen on the fibreplex. Does anybody have any suggestions about getting him to take it?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I personally don’t like mixing meds with anything else - you just increase the volume of liquid they need to take - its easier to just be firm and give them the meds as it is and follow it with a treat. Same with the fibreplex.

Are you syringe feeding him either mushed up pellets or critical care given he isn’t eating much?
Weigh your piggy daily to ensure enough syringe feed is being taken

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Plopbop

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I personally don’t like mixing meds with anything else - you just increase the volume of liquid they need to take - its easier to just be firm and give them the meds as it is and follow it with a treat. Same with the fibreplex.

Are you syringe feeding him either mushed up pellets or critical care given he isn’t eating much?
Weigh your piggy daily to ensure enough syringe feed is being taken

He's being syringe fed with the antibiotics and the fibreplex. The vet advised us to mix the fibreplex paste into a liquid with a little bit of water, but I'm wondering if we can give it with his favourite foods.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
He's being syringe fed with the antibiotics and the fibreplex. The vet advised us to mix the fibreplex paste into a liquid with a little bit of water, but I'm wondering if we can give it with his favourite foods.
You’ve said he has gone off his food, so he needs to be syringe fed a recovery food - either critical care or mushed up pellets (as described in the guides I linked in above) to keep him going while he isn’t eating enough for himself. In a piggy with complete loss of appetite, you need to get 40-60ml of recovery food into the piggy in a 24 hour period. You need to weigh piggy daily to ensure the weight is being maintained and therefore you can be confident you’re giving enough recovery food. Loss of weight means you need to syringe feed more

Antibiotics are meds and fibreplex is a probiotic to encourage gut acitivity - neither are food so won’t sustain a piggy who isn’t eating hay for himself. Only a recovery food will do that.

You can mix the fibreplex in with the syringe feed of critical care or mushed pellets.

If he has soft poop then he needs to be kept off veg and grass and only offered hay if he will eat any and then critical care/mushed up pellets to replace the hay he isn’t eating for himself

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. One of my four piggies has been lethargic for a few days. He's gradually gone off his food and water, and today his breathing has become laboured and his poo soft. He's been to the vet, who has prescribed antibiotics for his breathing and fibreplex for his poo. He is fine with taking the antibiotics (I was advised to mix it with diluted ribena), but he's not keen on the fibreplex. Does anybody have any suggestions about getting him to take it?
Hi!

Mix the fibreplex with his syringe feed and feed him as much as he will take around the clock, every 2 hours in the day and every 3 hours during the night. You are aiming at getting ideally 60 ml into him in 24 hours but the closer to 40 ml you can get just to keep him alive the better.

Please read our detailed and step-by-step crisis care and syringe feeding advice:
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links